Admissions Process for Pharm.D/Ph.D. Combined Degree Program
Eligibility for Admission
- At least one year of completion of the UH Doctor of Pharmacy program
- Overall grade point average of 3.0 or greater on a four point scale
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores in the upper 25th percentile.
- A conditional acceptance into the program may be granted without the GRE. However, the GRE must be taken by the end of the first semester in the Pharm.D./Ph.D. program.
- International students must meet the English requirements of the University and College, attaining minimal scores on the TOEFL of 550 (213 computer-based test) and minimal scores of 50 in one of the tests of spoken English (TSE or SPEAK), or 6.5 on the IELTS, or have earned a degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
Note: Students may have to take additional courses to overcome deficiencies as determined by the program directors, prior to an unconditional acceptance into the program.
- Complete and file by the required dates the University of Houston Graduate Application Form and all other items required for admission to the graduate program in Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- An interview will be required.
All applicants must submit for admission:
1. Copies of all application materials required for admission to the UH Doctor of Pharmacy program.
2. Completed University of Houston Graduate Application Form (including all supplemental and financial information for international applicants).
3. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work.
4. Official test reports for the general aptitude portion (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
5. At least three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant attesting to the applicant's research and/or teaching potential.
6. Official test reports for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination and the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or the Spoken Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for international applicants.
7. A one- or two-page statement of purpose.
All application materials and admission inquiries should be addressed to:
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Dept. of Pharmacological & Pharmaceutical Sciences
Graduate Programs Office Manager
521 Science & Research Building 2
Houston, TX 77204-5037
The Pharm.D. degree plan will be administered by the College of Pharmacy's Office of Student Affairs; the Ph.D. degree plan and teaching assistant assignments will be administered by the Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Pharmacological & Pharmaceutical Sciences. The College's Graduate Studies Committee will provide input and annually review the program.