Skip to main content
Request Info



Interested in transferring to the University of Houston to complete an online program? Here's what you need to know to get started. The first major hurdle that our transfer students face prior to transferring is selecting a degree. Many transfer students are excited to study at the University of Houston but aren't sure about which degree to pursue. One of the many roles of Online and Special Programs is to support you in making that decision. Our helpful and knowledgeable staff can discuss degree options and prepare you for what to expect when you arrive to the University of Houston.

Contact Us >

Once you have a degree in mind we recommend you speak with the Transfer Advising Program. The transfer advising staff can help by reviewing your unofficial transcripts and can give you an idea on which credits will transfer to the University of Houston. They can also help you select which courses to complete at your current college prior to making the transition to UH. Now that you are prepared to make the transition it’s time to apply! 

Find Your Transfer Advisor >      Transfer Equivalency Guides >      Apply >


Are you currently enrolled at another college or university and interested in taking a course at University of Houston? You can apply to the University as a Visiting Student by selecting the transient application type. As a visiting student you are not subject to the University's general admissions requirements and are only required to provide a transcript from your current university to prove you are in good academic standing. 


Consult with an Academic Advisor
The first and most important step is to discuss your plans with an academic advisor from your home institution to ensure the credits you take at UH will transfer back to your university.
Check course availability
Check the UH class schedule online to make sure the course is available and open.
Note: Students who check availability before the open enrollment period begins may find that their desired course fills up during the initial enrollment appointment period. Remember, priority goes to degree seeking students. If your course is full, you will need approval from your instructor to enroll in the course.
Apply using the TRANSIENT application type
Visiting Students should apply by selecting the transient student application type. Students must be in good standing at their current institution and only their current institution’s official transcript is required. The deadline to submit an application and all required documents is July 15 for the fall term, Dec. 1 for the spring term and June 1 for the summer term.
TSI Hold
Admitted Visiting Students are not required to comply with the Texas Success Initiative requirements for demonstrating college readiness, as they are not seeking a degree. Our automatic file evaluation process should recognize the Visiting status and not place an enrollment hold on those accounts. However, if a hold listed as “R40 TSI” is mistakenly placed, students should email to request a status review to determine whether the hold may be lifted.
Remove Bacterial Meningitis Hold
Beginning January 2014, Texas State law (SB 62) mandates that all entering students under the age of 22 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that a student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration. Students may also submit proof of approved conscience exemption from the Texas Department of State Health Services (see below for more information).
Transition to a full-time UH student
If you are a Visiting Student who wishes to convert to a full time degree seeking UH student you will need to submit a Visitor to Regular Student Form. Once you choose to transition to a regular student you will be subject to the University of Houston's general admission requirements and will be required to submit all previous transcripts.


Ready to return to the University of Houston? Here's what you need to know to get started. If you attended the University within the past 13 months you can pick up right where you left off and enroll in courses. If have not attended the University for four consecutive semesters or in the last 13 months, you will need to reapply to the University by completing the Apply Texas application and selecting the Readmit designation. Keep in mind that when reapplying you will need to meet the re-entry requirements of your desired major and you will need to provide updated transcripts if you have attended another institution since leaving UH.

Apply >       Re-entry Requirements >

Are you interested in completing an online or off-campus degree once you return to UH? Contact Online and Special Programs to find out more about available options.

Contact Us >