F-1 on-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the main semesters. An F-1 student who has 20 hours of on-campus employment may not work as a “Human Subject” for any research project without requesting and receiving additional work authorization. In this case, CPT work authorization may only be granted to the research directly related to the student’s major area of study and only if the student is otherwise eligible.
The following links will provide detailed employment authorization options for F-1 students.
- On-Campus Employment Opportunities
- Social Security Number
- Curricular Practical Training for Graduate Students
- Guidelines and Procedures, Curricular Practical Training for Graduate and Professional Students
- Curricular Practical Training for Undergraduate Students
- Pre Completion Optional Practical Training
- Post Completion Optional Practical Training
- Severe Economic Hardship Work Authorization
- Assistantship/Fellowship Verification form
- Academic Training for J-1 Students
- STEM Extension Optional Practical Training (OPTX)