Internship Amount: $1800
Application Deadline: March 8, 2018
The goal of the UH-LIFE internship program is support 12 lower division undergraduate summer internships each year for a 4-week experience working with science master teachers and NSM faculty in STEM camps at the University of Houston. The internship program is also available to Wharton County Junior College students. The STEM camps provide activities, experiments, projects, and field experiences for upper elementary, middle school, and high school students. Upon completion of the camp, the interns will review and improve the science modules and make suggestions for modules to use for future camps. The summer internship program will introduce students with opportunities to teach early in their academic careers and it will serve as a recruitment tool where the interns will be future candidates for the Noyce Scholarship Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Observe all rules and regulations established for STEM camps and assist in their enforcement.
- Supervise campers during assigned time including escorting them to mealtime, classes, recreation, and other activities.
- Work with master teachers to develop and facilitate STEM lessons and projects.
- Facilitate small group meetings (group and team planning sessions, library research, etc.).
- Work closely, cooperatively, and amicably with all staff members.
- NSM Major
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Have an interest in pursuing teaching
- Must be a freshmen or sophomore (or have at least 4 semesters left at UH)
- Must have a positive attitude!