Field placements in local classrooms are an invaluable part of the teachHOUSTON experience. These placements are made possible by the outstanding mentors teachers who provide constructive field experiences to the next generation of math and science teachers sharing high-quality, hands-on, engaging lessons to students.
In their first course, teachHOUSTON students teach elementary school model lessons. Current model lessons can be found HERE.
In the next two courses, our students create their own lessons at area middle schools and high schools in collaboration with mentor teachers and master teachers. The field-based course sequence culminates with student teaching at an area high school.
Participating high schools include the following:
- HISD- Austin, Davis, Eastside, HAIS, Lamar, Madison, Milby, Reagan, Sam Houston, Sharpstown Intl, Westbury, Yates, YMCP
- Spring Branch ISD- Northbrook HS, Stratford HS, Spring Woods HS, WAIS HS, Spring Oaks MS, Spring Woods MS, Spring Branch MS
- Pasadena ISD (South Houston, Pasadena)
- Aldine ISD (Aldine 9th and Sr. HS, MacArthur Sr. HS, Challenge Early College)
- Other districts such as Alvin ISD, Cy-Fair ISD, Ft. Bend ISD, Katy ISD, Galena Park ISD, and Humble ISD
teachHOUSTON is also proudly partnering with select elementary schools in Houston ISD to provide professional development for teachers as well as students volunteers for science fair, math night and other programs. These elementary schools include Cunningham, Herrera, Lantrip, Lockhart, Peck, Rodriguez, Rucker, Sinclair, Wainwright and Whidby Elementary Schools. Middle school partnerships include Clifton MS, Hamilton MS, Hogg MS, Jackson MS, KIPP Liberation, Marshall MS, and Stevenson MS.
Our program is indebted to mentor teachers at schools across the greater Houston area for their support of our students and our program.