For admission rules, requirements, and deadlines applicable to all University of Houston applicants visit UH Admissions.
Freshmen and Transfer Undergraduate applications are processed and evaluated through the Office of Admissions and, for international students, the Office of International Admissions. Former student admissions decisions will be finalized by the college once the Office of Admissions has reviewed and processed your application and credentials. Please be aware, if you do not submit all required credentials and pay the application fee by the deadline your application will not be processed for a decision. You are required to submit all transcripts by the deadline, even if you are currently attending the school.
Admission standards for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics are higher than the general admissions criteria for UH. The tables below show the admission criteria for high school graduates, transfer and former students. Current UH students who want to change to a major within NSM please see the change of major requirements.
Freshman Admission Requirements
Minimum Test Scores
|Rank in Class||SAT (Prior to March 2016)||OR||SAT (Since March 2016)||OR||ACT Composite|
|Top 26 - 50%||1150||1220||25|
|All Others or Not Ranked||1200||1270||26|
In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
|Biology, Chemistry, or Physics||2 or more|
Transfer and Former Student Admission Requirements
Applicants with 15 or more hours must meet the following conditions for approval into NSM:
- 2.50 GPA or greater in ALL college-level work attempted.
- 2.50 GPA or greater in ALL college-level Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics courses attempted.
- 2.50 GPA or greater in ALL courses from either CATEGORY I or CATEGORY II attempted.
Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Mathematical Biology and Physics majors:
- Must have successfully completed at least one of the following college level math courses.
- MATH 1330
- MATH 1431/1450
- MATH 1432/1451
- Must have successfully completed at least one of the following science courses for science majors.
- BIOL 1361
- BIOL 1362
- CHEM 1331
- CHEM 1332
- GEOL 1302
- GEOL 1330
- GEOL 1340
- GEOL 1350
- GEOL 1376
- PHYS 1301
- PHYS 1321
Mathematics and Computer Science majors:
- Must have successfully completed at least two of the following college-level calculus or computer science courses.
- COSC 1410
- MATH 1431/1450
- MATH 1432/1451
- MATH 2433/1451
** Conditional Admissions - Out of State Course Credit
Students who have math and science credit from out of state institutions that need to be evaluated for direct equivalencies may be conditionally admitted as a NSM unspecified major for one semester. Students admitted under this status would be required to submit transfer credit petitions to evaluate math and science courses taken at out of state institution(s). Once evaluated, a petition requesting a change of major should be submitted and evaluation will be based on the transfer admission criteria.
Breaks in Enrollment
Students who sit out for more than 13 months are required to reapply for admission to UH if they wish to continue their pursuit of a degree. At the time of their reapplication they will have to meet the current requirements for admission to UH for transfer and former UH students. Starting Fall 13, NSM (increased) requirements for students wishing to major in departments within the college have been put in place, see above.
Things to be aware of:
- If you are readmitted, your degree requirements will be tied to the catalog in effect at the time of your readmission. This may result in your having to take coursework not required under your earlier catalog.
- If either of the three gpa requirements (your cumulative gpa, your cumulative math and science gpa, or your category specific math and science gpa), is less than 2.50 you will be denied admission to the college.
- This means that if, at the time you sit out for more than 13 consecutive months, your gpa in any one of the three gpa requirements is below a 2.50 you will not be eligible for readmission to the college.
- To resolve this problem you will need to take coursework at other institutions in order to raise your gpa to the level needed to secure readmission. Grades from other institutions can only be used for readmission purposes and not for purposes of graduation at UH.
Students on Their First Academic Suspension
NSM students who have been placed on their first academic suspension are required to sit out for one long semester (fall or spring) and have to reapply for admission to UH after completing their sit out semester. Suspended students will be admitted under contract as long as they reapply to UH before the 13 month deadline and comply with all the requirements associated with the readmission process. See the Academic Standings & Readmission from Suspension page for more details. Suspended students who sit out more than the 13 months will have to meet the entry requirements applied to transfer and returning UH students (see requirements above).