Financing Your Education - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Financing Your Education

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics offers a number of ways to fund your graduate education.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistants are full-time graduate students who hold an appointment requiring duties such as classroom teaching, research, or other assigned academic responsibilities. Each department offers teaching assistantships, and many faculty members regularly employ research assistants. Contact the appropriate department for information about these positions. Also, review the Graduate Tuition Fellowship policy.

Fellowships and Scholarships

UH offers graduate student scholarships that may be awarded on merit, financial need, diversity, or other circumstantial and academic major considerations.

Presidential Fellowships assist departments and programs by providing funds to recruit highly-qualified Ph.D. students. These funds are awarded in addition to the stipend offered for graduate study. Outstanding applicants receive an additional $2,000 per year for two years. Applicants must be nominated by their department.

Graduate Tuition Fellowships cover the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees for qualified Ph.D. students.

The NSM Alumni Association also offers scholarships to graduate students.

Financial Aid

The university administers a variety of other financial aid programs, including grants and need-based and non-need-based loans. Each year that students apply for financial aid, they must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Resources for Underrepresented Students

UH is a member of the National GEM Consortium,which provides graduate fellowships with internships in science and math to underrepresented students.

UH is also a member of Project 1000, which assists students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics with the graduate school application process. Assistance includes paying application fees and submitting a common application to graduate schools.