Associate Professor of Geology, Structural Geology and Tectonics
Ph.D., Geology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 2005
Office: 315-B SR1
My research interests are in understanding the tectonic evolution of orogenic belts and the deformational processes involved in their development. My approach to studying tectonics involves integrating field-based mapping and structural geology studies with various analytical techniques (40Ar/39Ar thermochronology, (U-Th)/Pb and Sm/Nd geochronology, metamorphic petrology) in order to understand the spatial and temporal distribution of deformation in mountain belts, and better determine the processes involved in their evolution. Currently, my research is focused on deformational processes in the Pamir at the western end of the Himalayan-Tibetan orogenic belt.
Recent Meeting Abstracts
- Robinson, A.C. , Ducea, M., Gehrels, G., 2009, Isotopic Constraints on the Tectonic Architecture of the Eastern Pamir. AGU Fall meeting.
- Robinson, A.C. , 2009, Absence of Quaternary slip on the northern Karakorum fault: Implications for its evolution and role in the Himalayan-Tibetan orogen. 2009 Himalayan Karakoram Tibetan workshop, Beijing China.
- Robinson, A.C. , 2008, Evolution of the Karakorum Fault: Propagation and Abandonment along an Intercontinental Strike-Slip Fault. GSA Fall meeting.
- Robinson, A.C. , Cowgill, E., 2007, No Evidence for Neotectonic Activity Along the Inferred Northern End of the Karakorum Fault. AGU Fall meeting.
- Robinson, A.C., A. Yin, C.E. Manning, T.M. Harrison, and X.-F. Wang, 2006, Large-scale underthrusting at the western end of the Indo-Asian collision zone: Evidence from the eastern margin of the Pamir. GSA Annual meeting.
- Robinson, A.C. , A. Yin, and O. Lovera, 2005, Thermokinematic Modeling of the Effect of Footwall Erosion on Cooling Age Patterns in Detachment Fault Settings. AGU Fall meeting.
- Robinson, A.C. and A. Yin, 2004, Shortening calculations at the western end of the Indo-Asian collision zone: Implications for the evolution of the Tibetan orogenic belt. AGU Fall meeting.
- Robinson, A.C., A. Yin, C.E. Manning, T.M. Harrison, and X.-F. Wang, 2003 Oligocene-Middle Miocene crustal thickening and Late Miocene exhumation along the Eastern Pamir, China. GSA Annual meeting.
- Robinson, A.C. , 2009, Evidence against Quaternary slip on the northern Karakorum Fault suggests kinematic reorganization at the western end of the Himalayan-Tibetan orogen, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 286, p. 158-170.
- Robinson, A. C., 2009, Geologic offsets across the northern Karakorum fault: Implications for its role and terrane correlations in the western Himalayan-Tibetan orogen. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 279, p. 123-130.
- Robinson, A.C., Yin, A., Manning, C.E., Harrison, M.T., Zhang, S.-H., Wang, X.-F., 2007, Cenozoic evolution of the eastern Pamir region and implications for strain-accommodation mechanisms at the western end of the Himalayan-Tibetan orogen during the Indo-Asian collision, Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 119, p. 882-896.
- Guo, Z.-J., Yin, A., Robinson, A., Jia, C.Z., 2004, Geochronology and geochemistry of deep-drill-core samples from the basement of the central Tarim basin, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, v. 25, p. 45-56.
- Robinson, A.C., Yin, A., Manning, C.E., Harrison, M.T., Zhang, S.-H., Wang, X.-F., 2004, Tectonic evolution of the northeastern Pamir: Constraints from the northern portion of the Cenozoic Kongur Shan extensional system, western China, Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 116, p. 953-973.
- Eusden, J.D., Guzofski, C.A., Robinson, A.C., Tucker, R.D., 2000, Timing of the Acadian Orogeny in Northern New Hampshire, The Journal of Geology, v. 108, p. 219-232.