Computer Science (COSC) undergraduate scholarships are awarded for one academic year (fall through spring) to entering and continuing COSC undergraduates. The scholarship does not automatically renew each academic year; recipients must re-apply each year.
Applicant must be 1) a graduating high school senior 2) with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 or minimum SAT total of 1280 or minimum composite ACT of 28 and 3) have submitted an admissions application with computer science as one of the intended majors or have already been accepted to computer science.
An applicant transferring from another institution must have a minimum transfer GPA of 3.0 or higher and completed at least one mathematics course and one computer science course with a mathematics and computer science GPA of 3.0 or higher. Additionally, the transfer applicant must have submitted an admissions application with computer science as one of the intended majors (or have already been accepted to computer science).
Applicant must be a COSC undergraduate student in good standing at the University of Houston with a minimum cumulative and COSC GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicant should have 24 or more semester credit hours remaining in the degree program at the time the scholarship is awarded.
- Be a Computer Science major
- Complete a minimum course load of twelve (12) credit hours each semester at UH (considered full-time)
- Maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative and COSC GPA each semester
- Participate in activities as requested by the department
All completed application packages are reviewed by the COSC Scholarship Committee, which comprises COSC faculty representatives. The committee considers academic scholarship, leadership and civic involvement in making the selections, with heavy emphasis on academic scholarship.
Disbursement and Continuation
Disbursements will be made in two equal increments in the Fall and Spring semesters directly into the recipient’s student account upon verification of award eligibility: minimum enrollment, major, and GPA.
Scholarship recipients must sign and return the scholarship award notification letter to the COSC department by the indicated date. Recipients who fail to enroll for classes (at least 12 semester credit hours each fall and spring semester) by the UH Official Reporting Date (ORD), will also constitute automatic forfeiture of the scholarship.
Recipients of this scholarship may apply for (and accept) other scholarships for which the recipient is eligible. However, if a recipient applies for federal financial financial aid, this scholarship may be used in calculating the eligibility level of the recipient’s financial aid and need.
Scholarship application package checklist:
- Submit online application form
- Upload copy of your unofficial transcript (pdf only; max 15MB)
- Incoming freshmen should instead upload a single pdf that contains their cumulative GPA (GPA/scale), SAT (Math, Reading/Writing, Total) and/or ACT (E, R, M, S, Composite), class rank (rank/total). If copy of transcript if available, include that also.
- Upload resume (pdf only; max 15MB)
- Upload essay (pdf only; max 15MB) that answers the following (500 words maximum):
- What are your educational and career goals?
- Describe any academic and extracurricular achievements.
- Provide the name, phone number, email address, and your relationship of one individual who can provide a professional reference (not included in the 500 word max). A reference letter is not needed at the time of application; only their contact information provided in the essay/personal statement.
- Application opens: February 20, 2019
- Application deadline: March 31, 2019
- Application notifications: May 1, 2019 (anticipated)
If you have questions, contact Matthew Pariyothorn at email@example.com