Undergraduate Student Frequently Asked Questions - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Undergraduate Student Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my major?

Students seeking a change of major to Computer Science are required to meet with a major advisor in the NSM Undergraduate Advising Center located in Fleming, building 564, room 115. Petitions submitted by the first payment deadline of a semester will be effective for the intended semester. Any petition submitted after the payment deadline may be effective the following semester.

Students currently enrolled at UH and seeking a change of major to Computer Science:

  1. Established a minimum cumulative UH gpa of at least 2.50.
  2. Established a mathematics and science gpa of at least 2.50 based on all math and science courses taken at UH that are applicable to NSM degrees (Excluded courses listed below).
  3. Must have completed a minimum of six semester hours in mathematics (MATH 1330 or equivalent or higher).

* Students seeking a first bachelor’s degree with more than 30 hours credit may not change to NSM unspecified.

A. Courses that are excluded from all NSM major and minor course requirements and GPA requirements

  • BIOL 1134 Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab I
  • BIOL 1144 Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab II
  • BIOL 1153 Pre-Nursing Microbiology Lab
  • BIOL 1309 Human Genetics and Society
  • BIOL 1310 General Biology I
  • BIOL 1320 General Biology II
  • BIOL 1334 Human Anatomy & Physiology I
  • BIOL 1334 Human Anatomy & Physiology II
  • BIOL 1353 Pre-Nursing Microbiology
  • CHEM 1101 Foundations of Chemistry Lab
  • CHEM 1102 General Organic Chemistry Lab
  • CHEM 1117 Fundamentals of Chemistry for Engineers Lab
  • CHEM 1301 Foundations of Chemistry
  • CHEM 1302 General Organic Chemistry
  • CHEM 1372 Fundamentals of Chemistry for Engineers
  • MATH 1300 Fundamentals of Mathematics
  • MATH 1311 Elementary Mathematical Modeling
  • MATH 1312 Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning
  • MATH 1313 Finite Mathematics with Applications
  • MATH 1314 Calculus for Business and the Life Sciences
  • MATH 2303 Concepts in Algebra
  • MATH 2311 Introduction to Probability and Statistics
  • MATH 3303 Elements of Algebra and Number Theory
  • MATH 3304 Elements of Mathematical Analysis
  • MATH 3305 Formal and Informal Geometry
  • MATH 3306 Problem Solving in Mathematics
  • MATH 3307 Statistical Applications
  • MATH 3310 History of Mathematics
  • PHYS 1100 Physics Problem Solving Techniques
  • PHYS 1305 Introduction Astronomy – The Solar System
  • PHYS 1306 Introduction Astronomy – Stellar and Galactic System
  • PHYS 2340 Science of Sound
  • PHYS 5311 Physics for High School Teachers I
  • PHYS 5312 Physics for High School Teachers II
  • PHYS 5397 Selected Topics in Physics for High School Teachers

B. Course exclusions specific to Computer Science

  • COSC 1300 Introduction to Computing

I completed a course at another institution that is similar to a course required at the University of Houston. How can I receive credit for the course?

  • If you completed a computer science course that is similar to a course we currently offer and would like to receive credit for, you will need to submit a Transfer Credit Petition form. You will need to write what class you would like an equivalency for. Submitting your petition with a syllabus from the course and/or course description will help determine if the completed course satisfies the computer science course listed on the petition. Please submit the completed Transfer Credit Petition with any additional documentation to the NSM Undergraduate Advising Center.
  • If you completed a course that is similar to other UH courses, you will need to submit a completed general petition of your request to the department offering the course you are requesting course equivalency from.
  • You may also use the Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS) list as a reference to identify freshman- and sophomore-level general academic courses that will transfer to UH, if completed at other institutions/universities in Texas.

What steps are needed to graduate?

Successfully complete all required courses maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.0 cumulatively and in your major and minor. Make sure your degree plan is on file. Apply for graduation in your myUH before the graduation application deadline.

What are the requirements to file for an official degree plan?

  • To file for a degree plan with the Department of Computer Science, students should have declared computer science as a major, have junior standing and have completed at least 45 total credit hours.
  • File a major degree plan.
  • A degree plan is required to graduate.  Note: a degree plan is an official document that specifies what coursework you have completed and what coursework you have remaining.  A change of major request is not the same as filing for a degree plan.

Can I minor in COSC? What are the requirements?

Yes, you must file online. You must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall, on all computer science courses attempted and on all math courses attempted. There are 19 hours needed to complete a computer science minor.

I like computers, what other computer majors are there?

There are several majors involving computers offered at the University of Houston, Main Campus:

  • Computer Science, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
  • Computer Engineering, College of Engineering
  • Management Information Systems, College of Business
  • Computer Information System, College of Technology
  • Computer Engineering Technology, College of Technology