Student Information Employer Information
The Department of Computer Science (CS) at the University of Houston (UH), in collaboration with the student organization, CougarCS, hosts a career fair each fall and spring. The Computer Science Career Fair is an avenue for current CS students and companies to connect and discuss rewarding opportunities such as internships, co-ops, and full-time positions.
Computer Science Career Fair - Fall 2017
Wednesday, September 13
10am -2pm (entry doors will close at ~1:30pm)
Student Center South (UC) – Houston Room (2nd floor, room 220)
Preparing for Career Fair
Do you need assistance with preparing or editting your resume? Unsure of what to expect at the career fair or need advice on how to prepare? The department invites UH Career Services as well as company representatives to review resumes prior the fair. Below are the currently scheduled events:
- [CANCELLED - CAMPUS CLOSED DUE TO HURRICANE HARVEY] 8/28, Monday - Career Fair Preparation Workshop (11:30am-12:30pm; PGH 563). RSVP is required through CougarPathway.
- [CANCELLED - CAMPUS CLOSED DUE TO HURRICANE HARVEY] 8/29, Tuesday - Resume Workshop and Review (12pm-2pm, PGH 563). RSVP is required through CougarPathway.
- 9/6, Wednesday - Career Fair Preparation Workshop (4pm-5pm; PGH 563). RSVP is required through CougarPathway.
- 9/7, Thursday - Resume Workshop and Review (4pm-6pm, PGH 563). RSVP is required through CougarPathway.
CougarPathway RSVP Instructions for Workshops:
- Log into AccessUH and click the Cougar Pathway icon.
- Once on the Cougar Pathway home page, make sure your profile is updated with your major.
- If your major is not noted under your profile, you will not be able to see the event, as this is an CS-only event. To update: On the left hand side of the homepage, click “My Account” and then “Academic.” Update this information and click “Save Changes.”
- On the left hand side of the home page, click the “Events” tab.
- Under “Events”, there should a be few options listed. Click “Workshops”
- Type “Computer Science” into the search bar or scroll through the list.
- Click the RSVP button for the workshop that best fits your needs and availability.
Other Resources - University Career Services has online resources to help develop and improve your resume, as well as tips for preparing for the career fair. If you need additional assistance:
- Schedule an appointment with the STEM Career Counselor, Caitlin MacNeil, via CougarPathway.
- Stop by University Career Services during drop-in hours to meet with a career counselor. Below are the remaining drop-in days/hours before the career fair.
- Thursday, 9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
- Monday 9am-12pm, 1pm-6pm
- Tuesday 9am-12pm, 1pm-6pm
Career Fair Details and Policies
All currently enrolled UH Computer Science students are encouraged to attend. Meet with any employer anytime between 10am-2pm. Entry doors will close at ~1:30pm to allow companies enougth time to meet with the students remaining students in line.
A UH ID is required for entry. Prior RSVP is not required.
Resumes – be sure to bring several copies of your professional resume.
Bag Policy - no backpacks will be permitted into the career fair. You will be able to store your bag in a separate room during check-in. The bag room will be monitored by a student volunteer.
Dress Code Policy - UH CS and CougarCS require dressing business professional. We adhere to the dress code policy outlined by UH Career Services. Students who fail to follow the dress code policy may be prohibited from entering the career fair until they are in compliance. Take a look at this infograph for reference. A list of resources are available if you are in need of professional dress assistance.
- 9/10, Sunday – UH College Suit Up Event (6:30pm-10pm; JCPenney – 730 Meyerland Plaza). In partnership with the UH University Career Services, JCPenney is offering 30%-70% discounts on professional attire such as suits, dresses, ties, dress shirts, skirts, dress pants, dress socks and shoes. This is exclusive event is open only to the UH Main Campus Community. Register online to receive further event details.
- Current employer list (updated: 9/11/2017)
Employer Registration Form (closed)
Based on past attendance, we expect to connect you with close to 400 Computer Science students.Registration fee: $500. There is a reduced rate for government entities. The fee is waived for Friends of Computer Science (FoCS). Inquiries regarding the government rate or participation in the FoCS program, please contact Matthew Pariyothorn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no extra fees for addtional recruiters, parking or electricity. There is, however, a holding and storage fee (varies by number and size) for all shipments of recruiting materials.
Employer priority registration deadline: August 16, 2017
Employer final registration deadline: August 30, 2017 extended to September 6, 2017
Steps to register:
- Submit the Employer Registration Form (google form external link). If you have technical issues opening the form, please email Matthew Pariyothorn email@example.com to receive a pdf form.
- Submit a $500 payment online or via check. Instructions will be provided upon submission of the Employer Registration Form.
Employer Registration Form (closed)
- 8:30am-10am Employer check-in, setup, breakfast
- 10:00am-2:00pm Career Fair
- 11:00am-1:00pm Employer lunch (concurrent with career fair)
- 2:00pm-3:00pm Employer reception with department chair
Student Center South – Houston Room (220)
Welcome Center Garage located at the corner of Calhoun Road and University Drive. We will provide a validation ticket during the career fair. Please park only at the Welcome Center Garage as we are unable to validate tickets from other parking garages.Shipping
If you are shipping any materials, it is highly recommended to use a company such as FedEx, UPS, etc. as shipping through the US Postal Service will be delayed. Below is the address to ship TO before the fair and the address for PICK UP after the fair.
4455 University Drive
University of Houston
Student Center South, Room 271
Attn: Lauren Sposato, Res 76488
Houston, TX 77204
Ship To UH: please arrange your shipment so they arrive no earlier than Wednesday, September 6.
Ship from UH: All companies are responsible for pre-arranging the pick-up of any materials that need to be shipped back after the fair. Please have your shipping label(s) ready, if applicable.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the names of each company representative attending the fair.
If you have questions or need additional information regarding the career fair, contact Matthew Pariyothorn at email@example.com.
If you are a student needing assistance with preparing for the career fair, utilize the resources on the UH Career Services website or contact the UH STEM Career Counselor, Caitlin MacNeil, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-743-5100.