Admission Criteria (Ph.D.)
The minimum entrance criteria for graduate studies in the Department of Biology and Biochemistry are as follows:
- Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree (B.S.) with a major in Biology, Biochemistry, or an equivalent discipline. You can apply to our programs before you complete your degree, provided you graduate before you enter our program. (Note that having a M.S. degree is not a requirement to apply to our Ph.D. programs.)
- A Grade Point Average ≥ 3.0 / 4.0 (overall or for the last 60 hours of coursework completed).
- A combined score ≥ 305 on the Verbal and Quantitative portions of the GRE General Test. Request Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send the GRE scores to the University of Houston (UH) Main Campus (ETS code 6870).
- An informative, coherent and well-written statement of purpose.
- Three strong letters of recommendation.
- An overall score of ≥ 79 and a score of ≥ 20 on the written portion of the TOEFL test (or an overall score ≥ 6.5 and a score of ≥ 6.5 on the written portion of the IELTS test). Required of international applicants only (see English Language Proficiency and Exemptions for exceptions). Request ETS to send the TOEFL scores to the UH Main Campus (ETS code 6870).
We have an online application system where you submit all your documents electronically. Your references will also submit their letters of recommendation using this system. Please follow the instructions on the UH Graduate School Application page.
If you have any questions please contact us at:
Ms. Rosezelia Jackson
Graduate Program Coordinator
Tel: (713) 743-2633
- Spring 2017 — September 1, 2016 (will be open from June 1, 2016)
- Fall 2017 — February 1, 2017 (will be open from October 1, 2016)