The University of Houston Alumni Association (UHAA) has announced its 2016 Alumni Awards recipients, including nationally and locally prominent leaders in their fields — from CEOs to radio and television personalities — as well as people with a history of service to the University of Houston and their communities.
Honorees will be recognized at the 62nd Annual Awards Gala on May 7, 2016, at the Omni Galleria, Houston.
Distinguished Alumni Awards are given to individuals whose professional accomplishments bring prestige to the University. Five people are being honored in 2016:
William Brookshire (’57) is the co-founder and chairman of S & B Engineers and Constructors, Ltd. and a member of the University of Houston’s Cullen College of Engineering Hall of Distinction.
Billy Ray Brown (’85) is an on-course reporter for the Golf Channel and commentator for CBS Sports. While attending UH, he helped Houston Cougars Men’s Golf team win three national championships.
- Alan Gershenhorn (’82) is the chief commercial officer of United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS). He also serves as a member of the World Business Council on Sustainable Development.
- Pamela O’Rourke (’95) is the president & chief executive officer of Icon Information Consultants. She has received numerous business awards over the years, including the U.S. Small Business Administration's 2005 "Women in Business Champion of the Year.”
- Brent Spiner (F.S. ’71) is an actor, comedian, musician and singer who is best known for his role as Lt. Commander Data on the television series “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Spiner also played Dr. Brackish Okun in the hit film “Independence Day,” and his subsequent film credits include “Out to Sea,” “I Am Sam” and “The Aviator.”
- The Honorable Jarvis V. Hollingsworth (J.D. ’93) is a partner at Gracewell & Giuliani, LLP. He is a former regent on the Board of the University of Houston System and served as chairman from 2013 to 2014. (Hollingsworth will accept his award in 2017)
The Distinguished Service Award is given to UHAA Life Members who are set apart by a history of service to the association and University. Life Members being honored in 2016 are:
- Nancy and Dale (’70) Lowe – Dale Lowe is president of Lowe Holdings, LLC and Lowe Investments, LLC. Together, the couple support University of Houston Athletics and serve as hosts for University of Houston Alumni Association-sponsored New Student Send-Offs.
Dee Pearson (Ed.D. ’90) is an associate professor, and formerly associate department chair, of the Department of Health and Human Performance at UH. He is also a UH Cougars Athletic Alliance active volunteer.
Barbara McGinity (’74, M.S.W. ’00) will receive the Outstanding Volunteer Award. The award recognizes alumni and University supporters who exemplify a spirit of volunteerism to advance UHAA’s mission. McGinity is a licensed master social worker and program director of the Better Business Bureau Education Foundation. She also is a long-time volunteer and executive committee member of the Graduate College of Social Work Alumni Association
Lisa Cushing (’01) has been named UHAA’s Rising Star, which honors motivated young alumni who have excelled beyond the norm early in their careers. Cushing is owner and lead designer for Petals by Design.
For more information on UHAA or its programming, please visit www.houstonalumni.com or call 713-743-0342.