The artists participating in Houston’s inaugural CounterCurrent festival (presented by the University of Houston’s Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts) will be announced during a preview event from 2 – 3 p.m., March 6 at Modern B&B (4003 Hazard St.).
During this event, several CounterCurrent artists will be available for interviews and photo opportunities. Artists scheduled to attend the media preview include:
- Byron Au Yong, an internationally recognized Seattle-based composer, and video artist Susie J. Lee. - “Piano Concerto-Houston”
- Lacy Johnson and Josh Okun, multi-media Houston artists. – “(the invisible city)”
- Steve Rowell, a Chicago-based artist, designer and researcher – “Uncanny Sensing (Texas Prototype)”
- Cheryl Beckett, Patrick Peters and UH students - Beckett is associate professor and area coordinator at UH’s School of Art and creative director at Minor Design Group. Peters is a professor in UH’s Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and director of its Graduate Design/Build Studio. - “Re/CYCLE HUB” is a mobile, pedal-powered, shade structure that engages, entices and entertains the audience in a series of activities that motivates positive action toward environmental issues.
- Abinadi Meza, experimental filmmaker and sound artist – “Vein of Sky”
Later that evening, a CounterCurrent kick-off party will run 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at Mongoose vs. Cobra (1011 McGowen).
The actual CounterCurrent festival runs April 9 – 13 in Houston. It is an annual festival comprised of bold new interdisciplinary projects by artists from throughout the world, the nation, and the city of Houston. Produced by the University of Houston Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, CounterCurrent encompasses itinerant works as well as staged performances and exhibitions. CounterCurrent claims a range of sites including gallery spaces, outdoor sites, and non-traditional spaces. Many CounterCurrent works are developed in residencies with the Mitchell Center and its partner organizations. For more information visit www.countercurrentfestival.org.
The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts is dedicated to interdisciplinary collaboration across the performing, visual, and literary arts. Based at the University of Houston, the Mitchell Center commissions and produces new works, presents public performances and exhibitions, offers curriculum and scholarships, and hosts residencies with renowned visiting artists from throughout the world. The Center is home to the Mitchell Artist Lecture, an annual event featuring a pioneer in contemporary art-making, as well as CounterCurrent, an annual spring festival of new performance. The Mitchell Center forms an alliance among five departments at UH: the School of Art, Moores School of Music, School of Theatre & Dance, Creative Writing Program, and Blaffer Art Museum. For more information visit www.mitchellcenterforarts.org.
Dancie Perugini Ware Public Relations
Katy Mayell Ellis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713.224.9115
Marta Fredricks, email@example.com, 713.224.9115
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts
Nicole Romano, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713.743.5749