Forecasters predict as many as four to eight hurricanes this year. University of Houston resources have expertise in a variety of topics related to storms – before, during and after.
John O'Quinn's Longstanding Commitment to UH
John O'Quinn's commitments to UH included:
- University of Houston alumnus (B.S., Law, 1965; L.L.B., Law, 1967; J.D., 1969)
- 1966-1967: Editor-In-Chief of the Houston Law Review
- 1992: Generous gift to the UH Law Library allowed for renovations in 1996, later named the "John O'Quinn Law Library; made additional contributions to repair damage from Tropical Storm Allison
- 1993-1999: UH System Board of Regents, appointed by Gov. Ann Richards
- Funded the A.L. O'Quinn Chair in Environmental Law, named after his father
- Distinguished Alumni from UH in 1993 and UH Law Center in 1996
- O'Quinn Great Hall named in his honor in the Athletics/Alumni Center
- 1998: Donation allowed for massive renovation of Robertson Stadium, including luxury suites, replacing the track and increasing capacity
University of Houston statements regarding the passing of John O'Quinn:
Renu Khator, UH President and UH System Chancellor
"He worked tirelessly in behalf of this university and was one of its most generous financial contributors. The O'Quinn Law Library and O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium are the most prominent examples of his philanthropy at UH but are by no means the extent of it. Over the years, he made numerous gifts, including significant donations to the UH Library and to the UH Marching Band. A good deal of this school's success can be credited to John's unflagging commitment to making UH a better institution. "
Welcome Wilson, Sr., Chairman, UH Board of Regents
"I've have known John more than 30 years. John's support of the University of Houston has been unwavering in that time. In addition to his generous financial support, he also provided great leadership support to this university. I was with John Saturday at the football game, and he was so enthusiastic about the Tier-One initiative and was looking forward to the day this university would reach that status."
Connie Fox, Interim President and CEO UH Alumni Association
"John was the epitome of a model alumnus, using his education as a springboard for professional success, all while never forgetting his alma mater. Whether through service or financial contributions, he was proud to let everyone know he was a Cougar. For a man who made his living by talking, UH is a quieter place without John O'Quinn."
Ray Nimmer, UH Law Center Dean
"I had the privilege of knowing John for decades - and he was one of those rare ‘larger than life' lawyers who instantly commanded attention and respect in any gathering. At the Law Center, his generosity is recognized in our state-of-the-art John O'Quinn Library, and an endowed chair - the A.L. O'Quinn Chair in Environmental Law - named in honor of his father."
For directions to on-campus visuals regarding Mr. O'Quinn's UH philanthropy, please contact Shawn Lindsey at (713) 743-5725 or email@example.com