Forecasters predict as many as four to eight hurricanes this year. University of Houston resources have expertise in a variety of topics related to storms – before, during and after.
Moores Concert Chorale to Deliver Sendoff Concert July 5 Before Wales Journey
Before the chorale boards a plane for Europe, it will perform a special send-off concert for its local supporters at 7:30 p.m., July 5 in UH's Moores Opera House. Admission is free to the public.
"We will perform the entire program that we are taking to Wales. This includes everything from a Renaissance motet, to art songs and arias sung by our solo competitors to rousing spirituals," said Betsy Weber, director of the Moores Concert Chorale. "There is something for everyone at this concert."
Songs to be performed include:
- "Wake Up, Ollie Brown" by Ben Allaway
- "I Saw Eternity" from Blue Estuaries by David Ashley White, director of the Moores School of Music
- "The Sounding Sea" by Eric Barnum
- "My Soul's Been Anchored in the Lord" arranged by Carol Barnett
- "Prelude" by Ola Gjeilo
- "Exultate Deo" by Giovanni Palestrina
- "The Unicorn" from Medieval Bestiary by R. Murray Schafer
- "Lord, If I Got a Ticket" arranged by Robert Shaw
- "To The Mothers in Brazil" by Salve Regina, Lars Janson
- "The Best of All Possible Worlds" from Candide by Leonard Bernstein, arranged by Robert Page
- "I'm Goin' Away" arranged by Mack Wilberg
- "Old Joe Clark" arranged by Mack Wilberg
The day after this concert, the chorale will begin its journey to Wales. From July 6 - 12, it will compete against choirs from around the world. In addition to competing, the Moores Chorale, consisting of 36 students and alumni, will participate in the Llangollen Peace Concert, which assembles representatives from all of the competing choirs for a flag parade and performance. The Moores Chorale was chosen to represent the United States.
For more details on the Moores Chorale, visithttp://www.music.uh.edu/choral/chorale.html. To obtain concert information, call 713-743-3313.
|WHAT:||Send-Off Concert for the Moores Concert Chorale|
|WHEN:||7:30 p.m., July 5|
|WHERE:||UH Moores Opera House - Entrance 16 off of Cullen Blvd., Houston, TX 77204-4017|
|WHO:||UH Moores School of Music|