Faculty Choreographers Showcase Works In ‘Impulse’
Impulse will showcase new works by faculty choreographers Karen Stokes, Teresa Chapman, Jackie Nalett, jhon r. stronks, Becky Valls and guest choreographers Amy Ell, Lori Amare, Lauren Garsen and Jocelyn Thomas. Dances will be performed by pre-professional dance company, UH Ensemble, and guest company The Houston Met TOO!
- Valls will introduce her new work "Beater Wifes," set in the 1950s when new conveniences and food products were a joy.
- Chapman presents "Stolen Moments," snippets of emotions and private moments from her personal history.
- Guest choreographer Amare presents "A Little Jungle Music Please," a new and exciting contemporary African dance about the playfulness of monkeys in the jungle. The piece is set to the sounds of African drums.
- "Ole Skool Goldfish" is jhon r. stronks' new energetic dance which has traces of elephant ancestry and blissful old school goldfishes.
- Choreographer Jackie Nalett will show audiences how to have a good laugh while still enjoying some dance with "Bollweevil Cocktail."
The Houston Met Too! also will take the stage with the UH Ensemble. This non-competitive, concert-based repertory dance company is a product of the growth of the school and The Houston Metrpolitan Dance Centre. It also functions as a training ground for the professional dance company, the Houston Metropolitan Dance Company. The Houston Met Too! will perform work by choreographers Garson and Thomas.
Tickets for "Impulse" can be bought the day of the show or by calling the box office at 713-743-2929. For more information regarding this show please visit the Web site www.theatredance.uh.edu or www.myspace.com/uhudt.
|WHAT:||UH New Play Festival|
|WHEN:||7 p.m., April 23 - 26, noon, April 27|
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts/Jose QuinteroTheatre
|WHO:||UH School of Theatre & Dance|
For more information about UH visit the university's Newsroom at www.uh.edu/newsroom.