‘FUNNY DANCES’ SPOTLIGHTS
UH FACULTY, STUDENT TALENTS
Warmer weather tends to bring spring fever, but around this time
of year, the University of Houston gets dance fever.
UH’s annual Faculty Dance Concert begins a three-show run
at 8 p.m. Friday, April 20, at UH’s Lyndall Finley Wortham
Theatre. Titled “Funny Dances,” the concert will feature
the works of UH’s dance faculty and other choreographers.
- Becky Valls, UH dance instructor, will revisit “On the
Wing,” which was featured in the recent “Weekend of
Texas Contemporary Dance” at Miller Outdoor Theatre.
- Karen Stokes, UH director of dance, presents “Shall We?”
– a humorous look at the trepidation experienced by couples
headed toward marriage.
- Sophia Torres, artistic director of Psophonia Dance Company,
presents an original work exploring why seemingly ordinary people
take drastic actions that have devastating consequences.
- Leslie Scates, Houston’s leading creator of improvisational
works, presents “12for13,” performed by ENSEMBLE,
UH’s performing, repertory company.
- Kelly Knox, a native Houstonian and visiting choreographer
from Bucknell University, presents a new piece set to music by
Blue Man Group and performed by the women of ENSEMBLE.
- Teresa Chapman, UH dance instructor, presents “Shift,”
performed by an-male trio and “Just Another Day,”
a new dramatic work featuring superheroes
This event is open to the public. Tickets are $8 if purchased in
advance and $10 at the door. To reach the box office, call 713-743-2929.
||8 p.m. Friday, April 20 –
Saturday, April 21; 2 p.m. Sunday, April 22
||Lyndall Finley Wortham Theatre in
the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts at UH
University of Houston - Entrance 16
||University of Houston School of
Theatre & Dance
For more information about UH visit
the universitys Newsroom at www.uh.edu/admin/media/newsroom.