University of Houston
- Jesse Clayton Jacobs Memorial Scholarship – This scholarship honors the memory of Jesse Clayton Jacobs ('12), an alumnus of the University of Houston. The successful candidate of this $2000 scholarship will have been involved in the LGBTQ community in one or more ways in the last two years.
- 2018 UH LGBTQ Resource Center Pride Scholarship – This scholarship is an essay contest for current UH students. The essay topic is "The benefits of being LGBTQ". Many times the LGBTQ community focuses on negative issues and problems that arise, so in this essay students will explore the joys, advantages, wonders and benefits of being a member of this fabulous community.
- Community Involvement Scholarship – Inactive.
- Past Recipients
- (2017) Jerome Brewer
- (2015) Priyank Pillai
- (2013) Yesenia Chavez
- LGBTQ Alumni Scholarship - This scholarship will be for $500 minimum and is for incoming freshmen, current undergraduate students, or current graduate students at the University of Houston. Scroll down to LGBTQ ALUMNI ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP.
- Out for Education - Funds needs-based scholarships for GLBT Houston area students.
- Houston Transgender Unity Community- Funds needs-based scholarship to recognize outstanding transgender students and to contribute toward their continuing education.
- APIQWTC Scholarship - Funds two $400 scholarships for Asian Pacific Islander lesbian, bisexual, or queer women or transgender individuals pursuing technical/professional training or higher education.
- COLAGE Houston Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE) offers scholarships for students with one or more LGBTQ parent. The e-mail address for the Houston chapter is Houston@colage.org.
- Believe in a Dream Scholarship - Offers scholarship year round to GLBT student who demonstrate need, academic achievement, and community involvement.
- Peggy Rudd Transgender Scholarship Fund-was created to recognize outstanding transgender students and to contribute toward their continuing education.
- OutTexas Foundation – The scholarship amount varies and is based on Texas residency, connection to the LGBTQ community, and applicants' future plans. Applications are due at the end of January each year.
- GLBT Leadership Education & Advocacy Program (LEAP) - The GLBT Leadership Education & Advocacy Program and AGLCC Foundation are giving Texas students the opportunity to apply for both GLBT LEAP and AGLCC Foundation scholarships with a single application. These scholarships are intended to build leadership and promote diversity in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and allied communities. Awards may be used for any post-secondary education, including advanced degrees as well as nontraditional or alternative programs and vocational training.
- NLGJA Kay Longcope Scholarship Award - Funds scholarship for an LGBTQ person of color planning to pursue a career in journalism. Applicants must attend or plan on attending a U.S. community college or four-year university.
- NLGJA Leroy F. Aarons Scholarship Award Funds $5000 scholarship for an LGBTQ student planning to pursue a career in journalism. Applicant must attend or plan to attend a U.S. community college or four-year university.
- NWSA Graduate Scholarships in Lesbian Studies Funds scholarships for graduate lesbian studies.
- The Point Foundation Funds scholarships for undergrad, grad and post-grad students who are marginalized because of their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- American Atheists Gay/Lesbian College Scholarship Funds scholarships for students who are atheists, awarded primarily based on activism.
- Colin Higgins Youth Courage Awards Colin Higgins Foundation awards grant youth activists ages 13 to 21 that have shown courage in fighting for LGBTQ human rights in their communities. To be considered for a grant, one must be nominated.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund Funds needs-based scholarships for students actively working toward peace and justice at an accredited institution.
- HRC Foundation Scholarships Funds three non-renewable $2,000 scholarships for LGBTQ and allied students who have demonstrated exceptional commitment to the fight for queer equality.
- Kenneth W. Payne Student Prize Competition Funds scholarships for undergrad or grad student who writes a scholarly anthropological paper/study on a LGBTQ topic.
- LEAGUE Foundation Matthew Shepard Scholarship Funds scholarship for a student who demonstrated leadership in promoting diversity and understanding in the community.
- Stonewall Community Foundation Scholarships & Grants is sponsored by the Stonewall Community Foundation and awards three $3000 scholarship to lesbian identified students who are motivated to making a difference and have a history of academic excellence and community service.
- NOGLSTP National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals offers two $5000 scholarships to one undergraduate student and one graduate student in a science, technical, engineering, or mathematical (STEM) program.
- College Resource Network (www.collegeresourcenetwork.com) We are a free scholarship search engine and college planning website specializing in Minority Scholarships with a focus on LGBTQ Scholarships.
- Joshua Gomes Memorial Scholarship Fund - Funds aims to lay a path for hope for young adults with HIV/AIDS by providing academic scholarships to universities of their choice. Each $1,000 scholarship we award will give the recipient a strong message: You are worth investing in! Scholarships are awarded based on a combination of merit and need.
- Live Proud by AT&T and HRC - Visit this site for more information during the application season.
College to Congress - A bipartisan nonprofit organization that provides exceptionally bright students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, the opportunity to intern on Capitol Hill.
Victory Fund - This internship program gives the opportunity to gain experience in LGBTQ political activism and network with leaders in local, state and national politics. They accept interns throughout the year for the spring, summer, and fall semesters in External Affairs, Finance & Operations, Fundraising & Donor Development, Leadership Programs, and Political areas.
National LGBTQ Task Force - The Task Force offers graduate and undergraduate internships available during the fall/winter, winter/spring and summer terms for university students or recent graduates covering Communications, Creating Change, Development, Government Affairs Internship, Policy Institute Internship, Pride Internship, and Special Events.
GLBT Studies Minor, University of Houston
The GLBT minor is housed within the Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies Program in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (624 AH) and is administered by Dr. Guillermo de los Reyes.
Certificate in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health - Drexel University
The online Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBTQ) Health Certificate is intended for graduate students and practicing healthcare professionals who wish to better understand and address health issues specific to the LGBTQ community.
UH Library Resources
MD Anderson's Special Collections holds LGBT History collections that include personal papers, organizations records, and library collections that preserve and promote collective understanding of Houston’s and the region’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities and service organizations. Materials document the communities’ activist, cultural, social, and political activities, and the personal experiences of community members. UH Libraries is an active member of Houston ARCH, the Houston Area Rainbow Collective History organization.
LGBTQ Research Guides
The keywords, techniques and sources listed here offer an entry point to topics in the GLBT Studies Minor curriculum at UH.