Swansea University is located in Swansea, Wales in the United Kingdom. Students from all majors are eligible to study at Swansea University as a Reciprocal Educational Exchange Program (REEP) student.
Please note: This exchange opportunity is best for full academic year (September-June) or the spring term (January-June). Due to overlap in academic calendars, it may be difficult to accommodate fall-only enrollment.
About Swansea University:
Over 15,000 students and scholars attend Swansea University each year in colleges such as the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Engineering, the College of Human and Health Science, the College of Medicine, and the College of Science. Swansea University also has a School of Management and a School of Law. Swansea University is a research-led university and includes centers and institutes focusing on areas such as nanohealth, life sciences, and cognitive neuroscience. In September 2015, Swansea University will open a second campus knows as The Bay Campus. The Bay Campus will be home to the College of Engineering and School of Management. Please note that if you take classes on both campuses, you will need to create your schedule to include the commute from one campus to the other.
About Swansea, Wales:
With a rich history dating back to the twelfth century, Swansea is a coastal city in the south of Wales and is just an hour away by car or bus from Cardiff, the capital of Wales. London, England is just three hours away by train. One of the great things about attending a university in the United Kingdom on a student visa is the ability to visit any of its four countries during your study: Wales, Scotland, England, and Northern Ireland. English is the primary spoken and written language, though many signs are also written in Welsh.
Map of Wales:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Must have completed 12 UH credit hours
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
How to Apply:
- Meet with a Learning Abroad Advisor to learn about the program
- Review the Swansea University module catalog
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor to determine course equivalencies
- Complete the UH required forms found on the the Learning Abroad Timeline.
- Complete an application to Swansea University
- Academic Year: Apply though UH by May 1
- Spring: Apply through UH by October 15
Selected Applicants Agree To:
- Complete and submit the required paperwork to the UH Learning Abroad office as outlined in the Learning Abroad Timeline.
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines, and procedures of Learning Abroad.
- University of Houston tuition and fees
- UH Learning Abroad Exchange fee: $75
- Airfare to Cardiff: approximately $1100 as of March 2015
- Information for on-campus housing can be found here.
- Passport: With Passport for Coogs, you are able to apply for a passport in the Learning Abroad office.
- Local Transportation Costs: Varies
- Academic materials/textbooks, as required by your syllabi in Swansea: Varies
- Meals: Varies
- Personal Expenses and Incidentals: Varies
Personal preferences affect the total cost of your program. Participants should plan for the trip and budget appropriately.
- National Rail (express service from Paddington Station (London) to Swansea, Wales
- TrainLine cheap U.K. train tickets
- 130 things to do in Swansea
- British American Foundation of Texas (BAFTX)
- Scholarships for Undergraduate and Graduate Students from Texas
- ERASMUS - Mobility International Funding
- Up to 8 students from UH may be eligible for up to $5400 in awards
- See your Learning Abroad Advisor for details