The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® invites applications for Building Your Craft: From Studio to Stage at the University of Houston Moores School of Music. The three-week intensive program for college freshmen and sophomore vocal students builds a foundation in stagecraft through classes in acting and dramatic interpretation, language and diction, solo and ensemble coaching, stage movement, dance, and body awareness. Led by a faculty with years of international experience, participants prepare and stage scenes from opera and operetta for public performance.
Daily Classes and Sessions (up to 35 hours per week) include:
- Dance and Movement for the Stage
- Techniques in dramatic interpretation and theatrical presentation
- Diction and Language
- Daily individual and ensemble coaching
- Staging of scenes
- Lectures (Vocal Health, Collaboration: You and the Pianist, Performance Anxiety, Learning Orientations)
- Individual voice lessons will be available for participants. (Lessons are voluntary and scheduled with the approval of the individual’s voice teacher.)
- Final performance of opera scenes
- Limited enrollment and generous tuition fellowships
* University of Houston faculty member
Fees (all fees are non-refundable)
- Application fee: $80 (due with application)
- Registration fee: $1400 (due upon acceptance and no later than April 18, 2019 - includes approximately 35 hours of instruction per week)
- Tuition: $0 (All participants receive a fellowship for the remaining tuition valued at $3200 underwritten by the Immanuel & Helen Olshan Foundation)
- Optional room and board: $1200 (University of Houston dormitory; double occupancy; three meals daily in UH dorm cafeteria) and must be requested no later than April 18
- Recorded Audition/Application Deadline - EXTENDED TO APRIL 8, 2019
- Acceptance Deadline: April 18, 2019
All Applicants Must Submit the Following Materials by April 8:
- Only college freshman and sophomore vocal students are eligible to apply.
- Completed application form with $80 non-refundable application fee (payable by credit card only via Acceptd)
- Attach your one-page resume & video recorded audition with two vocal selections, including one in English and one in Italian.
- International Applicants Not Currently in the U.S.: If accepted, you are responsible for obtaining your own visa to attend The Institute of Voice Studies.
Important Institute Dates:
- Arrival/Dorm Check-In (if staying on-campus and for out-of-town participants only): Sunday, May 19 AFTER 12 P.M. AND BEFORE 5:30 P.M., Cougar Village I, located on the University of Houston campus at 4385 Wheeler Avenue, Houston, TX 77004. (Housing is NOT available before May 20 - please plan your arrival in Houston accordingly). Participants are responsible for transportation to Houston and also to the UH campus – airport transportation is not provided.
- Institute Start Date: Monday, May 20
Registration: 10:00 a.m., Moores School of Music Room 108
- Final Concert/Institute End Date: Friday, June 7, 7:30 p.m., Dudley Recital Hall
- Dorm Check-out (if staying on campus): Saturday, June 8 by 12 p.m. Participants are responsible for transportation between the UH campus and the airport – airport transportation is not provided.
For more information
Melanie Sonnenberg, Director
Photo Credit: Shannon Langham