About the Competition
The 2018 Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition is open to all Texas Music Festival Orchestra Fellows. All finalists will receive a cash prize and a medal. Subject to approval of the conductor and the availability of orchestral parts, the 2018 winner will perform with the Festival Orchestra under the baton of Carlos Spierer at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in The Woodlands on Friday, June 22, 2018 at 8 p.m. and also at the Moores Opera House on Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. The winner may also be invited to appear as a soloist with the Akademisches Orchester in Leipzig, Germany at the famed Gewandhaus.
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition Requirements
- All competitors must pay the $30 non-refundable registration fee to compete (indicate on the TMF Orchestra Fellow Information Form).
- Piece must be no longer than 15 minutes in total, including all full orchestral tuttis.
- Competitors may only compete with a movement from a standard work from the CLASSICAL ERA (1730-1820) for instrument and orchestra. (One movement of a concerto or one movement works are acceptable.) Competitors may NOT compete with any work that does not meet these specifications. Please contact the TMF Office if you have questions about if your piece is eligible for the competition.
- Work must be performed from memory at all levels of adjudication.
- Competitors must bring, and provide, a piano score for accompanist for the Preliminary Round. Piano score must be an orchestral reduction—no chamber music allowed.
- Preliminary Round: Thursday, June 7, 2018, 7 p.m. Contestants will only be allowed an 8-12 minute performance time.
- Final Round: Sunday, June 10, 2018, 2 p.m. Final Round is open to the public and the full work will be performed.
- TMF reserves the right to reject any request to compete with repertoire that does not meet the requirements listed above