About the Competition
The 2019 Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition is open to all Texas Music Festival Orchestra Fellows. All finalists will receive a cash prize and a medal. Subject to approval of the conductor and the availability of orchestral parts, the 2019 winner will perform with the Festival Orchestra under the baton of Carl St. Clair at the Moores Opera House on Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. The winner may also be invited to appear as a soloist with the Akademisches Orchester in Leipzig, Germany at the famed Gewandhaus.
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition Requirements
- All competitors must pay the $30 non-refundable registration fee to compete.
- Competitors may only compete with a piece or a movement from a standard concerto, concerto movement, or solo work for instrument and orchestra that is NO LONGER THAN 15 MINUTES IN TOTAL (including all full orchestral tuttis). Competitors may NOT compete with any work that does not meet these specifications. Please contact the TMF Office if you have questions about if your piece is eligible for the competition.
- Please note: The Vanhal Double Bass Concerto, Mvt. I, Fischer Symphony with Eight Obbligato Timpani, and Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 1, Cadenza & Mvt. IV have been performed during the last two seasons. Competitors may not compete with any of these pieces for the 2019 Competition due to programming issues.
- Work must be performed from memory at all levels of adjudication.
- Competitors must bring, and provide, a piano score for accompanist for the Preliminary Round. Piano score must be an orchestral reduction—no chamber music allowed.
- Preliminary Round: Thursday, June 6, 2019, 7 p.m. Competitors will only be allowed an 8-12 minute performance time.
- Final Round: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 2 p.m. Final Round is open to the public and competitors will be allowed the full 15 minutes to perform their piece or movement.
- TMF reserves the right to reject any request to compete with repertoire that does not meet the requirements listed above