How to keep your computer up-to-date
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
- Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
- Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
- Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.
- Open System Preferences
- Select Software Update
- Click on "Automatically"
- Select "Weekly" from the pull-down menu to enable weekly automatic software updates or "Monthly" for systems that are not often connected to the Network.
Other operating systems
Customers using other operating systems should check with operating system vendors to determine and apply software updates.
Free Security Software Downloads
University of Houston provides some free security software for download, including McAfee Antivirus, Virtual Private Network (VPN), and Identity Finder - Home Edition (which scans computer systems for personal identifying information).