Security incidents are illegal or questionable activities that violate the integrity or confidentiality of personal financial or health information and accidental or intentional distribution of sensitive information.
Security incidents may occur in any of the following ways:
- Unauthorized access of university data
- Unauthorized use of a user's account
- Unauthorized copying/distribution of copyrighted/licensed materials
- Misuse of computer resources
- Accidental distribution of sensitive data (student ID or social security number)
How to Report a Security Incident
There are three ways to report a security incident:
- Fill out an online incident reporting form
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call UIT Security staff at 832-842-4695
Computer abuse incidents are misuse, abuse, and violations of computer resources. They may occur in any of the following ways:
- Tampering with other users' files or passwords
- Harassment of other users
- Unauthorized alteration of computer charges
- Deliberately wasteful practices
- Online behaviors that intimidate or offend, are unethical, violate university policy or are potentially unlawful
How to Report a Computer Abuse Incident
There are two ways to report a security incident:
Note: Please include full headers of the email with your report if you are reporting inappropriate or objectionable email, or SPAM email.
Crime incidents may occur in any of the following ways:
- Criminal homicide - murder and non-negligent manslaughter
- Negligent manslaughter
- Sex offenses
- Robbery/ Burglary
- Aggravated assault
- Liquor law violations
If the incident is considered a crime:
- Call the UH Police Department at 713-743-3333 to report the crime.
- Do not delete offensive email from your computer until you have contacted UH Police and they instruct you to do so.