Disposing of Hardware
Reviewed: January 8, 2010
To achieve optimal efficiency and effective use of the technology in the workplace, a department must have a plan for the disposal of hardware.
Departmental management, technology staff, and users.
- Review and follow Property Management's policy on the Disposal of Excess Equipment for guidance on the disposal of capitalized assets valued at less than $25,000.
- Retire hardware according to your department's predetermined hardware refresh schedule.
- Refer to the recommended sanitization process for the disposal of excess equipment that addresses:
- Read and follow the Recommended IT Practices, Old Computing Equipment
- Transfer equipment according to Property Management and the State of Texas policy on property disposal.
NOTE: Care must be taken to ensure that hardware is disposed of appropriately and in a manner that ensures confidential data is not inadvertently left on systems.