There are many reasons why an employee may choose to leave the University of Houston. In all cases, it is the priority of University management to ensure a smooth transition for both the departing employee and for the department.
All separating employees must complete a Termination Checklist, regardless of the reason for their separation unless there is an extenuating circumstance that makes this impossible. The checklist serves as a reminder of items to be returned, security access to be turned off, and benefits to be reviewed with Human Resources. At present, there are two Termination Checklists:
1. eTermination Checklist: This is only for benefits-eligible staff at this time. This PeopleSoft-based checklist will query other systems on campus and create an employee-specific list of items to be reviewed or returned. The eTermination Checklist replaces the paper checklist that required the departing employee go all over campus for signatures, whether they have any outstanding items or not. For more information, go to one of the following links:
- eTermination Checklist information for department administrators and supervisors.
- eTermination Checklist information for employees separating from UH.
- eTermination Checklist Contact List
2. Termination Checklist for Temps and Student Workers: This checklist is paper-based and will be migrated to PeopleSoft at a later date. This form can be downloaded here.
Reduction in Force (RIF)
If your employee is being laid off, this is a very sensitive time for all concerned. Please consult the following resources:
The University of Houston wishes your retiree a smooth transition and a pleasant retirement. The following resources are available to your employees who are considering retirement or who have recently retired: