The following are guidelines for conducting successful selection interviews:Establish and maintain rapport
- Welcome the candidate sincerely.
- Listen to what the candidate is saying.
- Show genuine interest.
- Paraphrase what the candidate has said.
- Reflect feelings and meanings.
- Summarize what has been covered at the end of the interview.
- Facial expressions
- Body position
- Focus on asking open-ended, probing questions. (“Tell me about…”)
- Avoid closed ended questions. (yes/no)
- It is strongly recommended to document interviews.
- Do not write on application or resume, use a separate piece of paper.
- Interviewer should not make any notes that could be misconstrued as discriminatory.
* Important: Any notes made during an interview must be retained in the managers office for 2 years.