Veteran's Preference in Employment
Veteran’s Employment PreferencesIn compliance with Texas SB805, the University of Houston is committed to providing a preference in employment to eligible veteran or disabled veteran applicants who meet minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position to which they apply. The required preferences do not compel the University of Houston to appoint a veteran or disabled veteran. However, they do require that an eligible veteran or disabled veteran be appointed when the veteran’s or disabled veteran’s application assessment, combined with the veteran’s or disabled veteran’s preference, is equal to or higher than that of a non-veteran.
- A veteran with a disability whose disability is service connected
- A veteran
- A veteran’s surviving spouse who has not remarried
- An orphan of a veteran if the veteran was killed while on active duty
Interviews with Veteran Applicants
- An individual who qualifies for a veteran’s employment preference is entitled to a preference in the interview process over other applicants for the same position who do not have a greater qualification.
- However, the Veteran’s Preference statute does not guarantee the veteran a job.
- Positions at the University of Houston are filled with the best qualified candidate as determined by the hiring manager.
- For related information, please visit www.texas.gov or http://www.dol.gov/vets/
FAQs: About Veteran’s Preference
What is a Veteran’s Preference?Individuals who qualify for a Veteran’s Employment Preference is entitled to a preference in employment with or appointment to a state agency or institution of higher education over other applicants for the same position who do not have a greater qualification.
How do I know what positions qualify for a Veteran's Preference?All positions qualify for a veterans’ preference with the exception of student worker and other designated positions.
Who can I speak to if I have questions regarding the Veteran’s Preference or the Veteran hiring process?You can speak with MJ Jackson, majacks8@Central.uh.edu, 713-743-0339, Employment Representative, Veteran’s Liaison.
UH Veteran LiasonMJ Jackson