Group Award FAQs
Who may be nominated for a Group Excellence Award?
Any cohesive working unit or group of employees including two or more full-time staff members with a set purpose, such as a department, office, committee, division, college, or special work group. This includes groups from the UH central campus and UH system groups.
Who can make nominations?
Any UH employee, student, or community member may nominate a qualifying group for Group/Department Excellence Award consideration.
What are the qualifications necessary for award consideration?
The award recognizes meritorious service, dedication, customer service and contribution to the university beyond the requirements and expectations of the group function. Characteristics of a group’s performance which may contribute to excellence include:
- Superior job performance and a high degree of proficiency in their areas of responsibility;
- Outstanding personal traits such as dedication, loyalty, reliability, courtesy, honesty, and initiative;
- Continuous demonstration of customer service concepts necessary to support the university;
- Initiative in making improvements to work methods, standards, or operations; or developing new programs, services, or cost savings which enhance or support the department of the university; and
- The ability to work cooperatively as a team
The Group may have demonstrated:
- Outstanding contribution(s) to student success
- Behind-the-scenes outstanding contributions as “unsung heroes”
- On-going outstanding performance
- Outstanding performance on a special project or event
How do I complete a nomination and recommendation form?
Nomination and recommendation forms can be found online on the Human Resources, Staff Awards website (http://uh.edu/hr/resources/staffawards).
No signatures are required for approval since the forms are electronic. All College Business and Division Administrators will be notified of employees in their area who received a nomination after the finalists have been selected.
Should you need a hardcopy version of the nomination or recommendation form, please contact the HR Service Center to request that a copy be sent to you.
What is the deadline for submitting nominations?
Completed must be received by Human Resources no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 15th. In addition to the nomination form, up to four (4) recommendation forms may be submitted to provide further information for consideration. Only information provided on the approved forms will be accepted.
Who selects the winners?
The Group Excellence Award Selection Committee will be composed of the members of the Staff Council Professional Development Committee, a representative from Human Resources, a representative from Faculty Senate, and a representative from Student Government Association. They will evaluate all completed nomination materials submitted and select a Group Excellence Award winner.
What does a Group Excellence Award winner receive?
In addition to representative attendance and recognition at the Staff Awards Day ceremony and luncheon, winners will also receive a plaque to display in their work area, and their group will be acknowledged on Staff Council’s website.