University Career ServicesCareer Planning and Job Search Assistance for UH Employees
University Career Services offers UH employees who have been subject to a reduction-in-force (RIF) the following services:
1. Access to the University Career Services (UCS) website. Most of the services described below can be accessed via the UCS website: www.career.uh.edu.
First, you must create an account. To create an account, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the request to “Set Up Account – UH Employee.” Your account will be enabled within one business day of your request. Your Log-On will be your last name followed by the last three numbers of your PeopleSoft ID#. Your Password will also be your last name followed by the last three numbers of your PeopleSoft ID#, unless/until you change it. Prompts are provided on the site if you wish to change your Password. Accounts will be active for 60 days following date of activation.
2. Access to online job posting services – JOBank and JobScan. Over 8200 jobs are posted to these sites annually. Jobs of all experience levels are posted. Note: Some of the jobs posted will require that you have a resume uploaded to the UCS’s ResumeBank, however ResumeBank is not available to non-students. If you encounter any of these postings, email UCS and we will provide you with an alternate method of contact with that employer.
3. Attendance at UCS workshops. You are welcome to attend any of the 150+ career development/job search workshops coordinated annually by UCS. Topics include resume writing, interview skills, planning a job search, how to work a career fair, and more. Any of the “Career Success” seminars are also open for your attendance. No registration is required for these events. Please see the “Events Calendar” on the main UCS web page for a full schedule of these events.
4. Access to the Career Resource Library. The Career Resource Library consists of hundreds of current books on a wide spectrum of career development and job search topics. A list of holdings may be viewed on the UCS main web page under “Resource List,” or you may come in to UCS and browse the holdings. These resources may be used in the UCS department, but may not be checked out. A coin-operated copier is available on site.
5. Handouts. A variety of detailed and informative handouts on career topics is available from the UCS main web page (under “Handouts”) and from the UCS front desk.
6. Attendance at UCS-sponsored career fairs. See the “Events Calendar” for dates, times, and locations.
7. A copy of “Job Choices,” valued at $14.95 and containing a wealth of useful job search tips and employer contact information, is available free from the UCS front desk.
8. Individual career counseling, resume critiques, and mock interviews will be available only as staff workloads permit. These services are available by appointment only.
Please feel free to contact University Career Services if you have any questions.
UNIVERSITY CAREER SERVICES
Student Service Center 1 (Bldg #524 on campus map)