Benefits - Eligible DependentsWho can be covered under my health insurance plan?
A dependent eligible for coverage is your spouse, including a common-law spouse, and unmarried child(ren) under the age of 26. Additionally, the dependent child must be one of the following:
- your natural or legally adopted child, including a child living with you during an adoption probationary period,
- stepchild whose primary place of residence is your household,
- foster child whose primary place of residence is your household, and is not covered by another governmental health program,
- child to whom you are the legal guardian and whose primary place of residence is your household
- child with whom you have established a parent-child relationship, and whose primary place of residence is your household,
- child who is a child of your child, and considered your dependent for federal income tax purposes,
- eligible child for whom you have received a valid court order requiring you to provide medical support for the child.
A child's eligibility ends once the child marries or reaches age 26.
Need additional assistance? Call the HR Service Center at 713-743-3988 to discuss your situation in greater detail or to schedule an appointment with a Benefits representative.