Checklist: Change Major

Changing you major is a formal procedure requiring official approval and documentation. All Undergraduate students must declare a major by the beginning of their junior year (sixty credit hours), if not before. Graduate students change their major by re-applying for admission and then applying for the program of their choice.

  1. Choose a new major.
  2. Consult an advisor. Students should consult with an advisor in the department of their intended major for help with the change of major process.
  3. Meet the requirements. Students changing majors within the university shall meet the same requirements as students seeking admission to an academic unit (department, school, or college) from outside the university who have completed the same number of semester credit hours. Check the requirements within the department, school, or college of your choice.
  4. Submit a petition. Undergraduate students seeking to change their major must submit an Undergraduate General Petition form requesting a change of major. This form is filed by the student in the department in which he or she wishes to major. Approval from both the department chair and the college Dean is required.
    • Attach a copy of your academic history printout. This can be found and printed by logging into myUH and clicking on Academic Records.
    • Exceptions to items 2, 3, & 4: Business and Technology majors are declared online
      1. Students who want to declare a Business major should go to the Bauer College of Business web site and follow the instructions.
      2. Students who want to declare a Technology major should go to the web site and follow the instructions.