Barry Goldwater Scholarship
UH Campus Deadline: December 2, 2013
National Final Deadline: January 28, 2014
The Foundation Trustees award up to 300 Goldwater Scholarships to sophomores and juniors who demonstrate academic excellence and intend to pursue research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. This competitive scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
Candidates must be nominated by the Office of Undergraduate Research's selection committee to apply for the award. The UH Goldwater nominating committee may nominate up to four (4) candidates. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research for more information.
Eligible candidates should:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior at the time of application.
- Have a grade-point average of at least "B" (or the equivalent) and be in the upper fourth of the class
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or a U.S. national. Nominations from permanent residents must include a letter of the nominee's intent to obtain U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card).
- Read and download the application and instructions online on the Goldwater Scholarship website.
- Should you decide to apply for the campus competition, complete the online application on the Goldwater Scholarship website. Submit an unofficial transcript, three letters of recommendation, and the research essay to the Office of Undergraduate Research. Your three letters writers should submit their letters online on the Goldwater website. All materials must be received by December 2, 2013.
- If you are planning to apply for the campus competition, it is also a good idea to schedule an appointment to meet with a representative from the Office of Undergraduate Research.
- At the meeting:
- Plan to provide the names of at least three (3) letter writers.
- Bring in a résumé listing research activities, awards, honors, activities, jobs, service, leadership, hobbies, etc.
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research if you’re interested in applying for this scholarship.