Nationally Competitive Scholarships
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Arts Award
Phase One Deadline: November 26, 2013 at noon (central time)
UH may nominate two candidates for Phase Two. Should there be more than two candidates eligible to advance to the Phase Two application process, the campus deadline for Phase Two nominations is Friday, January 17, 2014.
Phase Two Deadline: February 25, 2014 at noon
Monday, January 6, 2014 – Phase Two applicants will receive notification from the foundation
Friday, January 10, 2014 – Initial draft of Phase Two application (minus the second recommendation letter) due to the Office of Undergraduate Research
Friday, January 17, 2014 – Final two applicants notified of nomination
Tuesday, February 25, 2014 – Application deadline, including second recommendation letter and parent forms (if required) due
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation's Graduate Arts Award enables students or recent alumni with exceptional artistic or creative promise and financial need to pursue up to three years of study at an accredited graduate institution in the U.S. or abroad. Awards can be as much as $50,000 annually. In 2013, the Foundation will select up to 20 recipients for this award.
Candidates must be nominated by the UH Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Faculty Representative. UH may nominate up to two (2) students to be considered for this award. A campus deadline may be set in January to determine the two nominees for Phase Two. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research for more information.
Eligible candidates should:
- Have senior standing or have graduated from an accredited four-year U.S. college or university with the past five years.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.20 or better on a scale of 4.0 (or the equivalent).
- Demonstrate unmet financial need.
- Have a bachelor's degree by the start of the coming fall semester.
- Plan to begin their first graduate degree program in the performing arts, visual arts, or creative writing at an accredited college or university in the fall the application date. Candidates should have a goal of being a professional performing artist.
- Not have been previously nominated for the Graduate Arts Award.
- For Phase One: Create an account on the website, fill out the application which includes official transcripts, one letter of recommendation, financial information, and uploading your portfolio by the Phase One deadline.
- As you are preparing your Phase One application, we strongly encourage you to begin gathering the required materials for Phase Two so that you will be prepared to submit your Phase Two application quickly should you be invited to do so.
- For Phase Two: Two (2) semifinalists will be nominated by the UH Selection Committee to submit additional information in Phase Two of the application process.
- The two nominees will submit the Phase Two online application, student and parent financial forms, a Student Aid Report, two (2) letters of recommendation, and a nomination from the UH Faculty Representative.
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research if you’re interested in applying for this scholarship.