Nationally Competitive Scholarships
National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowships
National Deadline: November 4-8, 2013
The National Science Foundation's Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) recognizes and supports outstanding future and current graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees at accredited U.S. institutions. Fellows benefit from a three-year annual stipend of $30,000 along with a $10,500 cost of education allowance for tuition and fees, opportunities for international research and professional development, and the freedom to conduct their own research at any accredited U.S. institution of graduate education they choose. The NSF welcomes applications from all qualified students and strongly encourages under-represented populations, including women, under-represented racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities, to apply for this fellowship.
This scholarship does not require university nomination, but it is encouraged that you contact the Office of Undergraduate Research should you have any questions regarding the application process for this award.
Eligible candidates should:
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident.
- Plan to pursue or be enrolled in a research-focused Master's or Ph.D. program in an NSF-supported field.
- Be enrolled in an eligible program at an accredited U.S. graduate institution by Fall of the application date.
- Have completed no more than 12 months of full-time graduate study (or the equivalent) as of August of the application date.
- The following programs and areas of study are not eligible:
- Read the application information available online at the scholarship’s website.
- Talk to professors and mentors about securing letters of recommendation.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with a representative from the Office of Undergraduate Research should you have any questions regading the application process for this award.