The Houston Undergraduate Research Network (HURN), the first student research organization at the University of Houston, is committed to fostering a dynamic learning community of students, faculty, and staff dedicated to the advancement of undergraduate research. HURN unites students and faculty from varying colleges and disciplines in efforts to share experiences and learn from each other, while at the same time, engages more students in pursuing undergraduate research endeavors.
Many students do not realize there is another side to the University of Houston beyond its academic domain. The University of Houston is not only a first-rate academic institution, but also a Carnegie-designated Tier One research institution, with the mission of providing a broad range of educational programs while engaging in a spectrum of research, scholarly, and artistic activities.
What can HURN do for me?
As a member of HURN, you will become part of a network of students and faculty involved in undergraduate research. By meeting and networking with individuals from your field and outside your field, you can learn more about research, scholarly activities, and career advancement. Throughout the academic year, professors from a wide range of departments on campus present at HURN meetings and recruit undergraduates to their labs. In addition, HURN hosts several meetings and social events during the year to provide students with the skills and guidance needed to get started in research. For more information, visit HURN's Facebook page.
Members receive points for their involvement in HURN. Participation includes going to meetings, wearing the HURN shirt to meetings, volunteering at fundraisers, assisting in coordination of HURN meetings, and attending other professional lectures and workshops on campus. Members with the highest amount of points win prizes!
Consider Being a HURN Officer
General Expectations of HURN Officers:
• Attend all monthly general meetings and the officer meetings, which are held every other week during the academic semesters and occasionally during the summer
• Proactive in their communication to other officers and to faculty affiliates
• Serve as ambassadors for undergraduate research for the University of Houston
• Serve in the elected position from August through June
• Key player in designing strategic plan for organization
• Leads HURN activities by coordinating officer meetings and general meetings
• Leads member recruitment by organizing orientations, presentations, announcements to classes, etc.
• Coordinates with secretary to increase campus awareness of HURN and monthly meetings
• Expected to serve as president when vice presidency term has ended
• Sends out emails concerning meetings, socials, reminders, follow-ups with speaker contact information, etc.
• Coordinates with VP to increase campus awareness of HURN and monthly meetings
• Financially responsible for organization and collection of dues
• Assists in determining use of dues
• Leads fundraising events
• Photographs all HURN activities and manages online media, i.e. updating Facebook page with photos and current/ future events
• Updates HURN’s webpage on the Office of Undergraduate Research’s website
Become a Member: