Terry Foundation Scholarship
The Terry Foundation is a private Houston-based scholarship program founded to provide scholarships to outstanding Texas high school graduates for attendance at Texas public colleges and universities, including the University of Houston. The amount of the Terry scholarship is based on the cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, books, on-campus room and board, and miscellaneous expenses. The actual specific amount of the stipend will vary for each Terry Scholar, depending on other scholarship awards and the ability of the Scholar’s family to contribute to the cost of college.
Established in 1986 by Houston philanthropists Nancy & Howard Terry, the Foundation has assisted hundreds of Terry Scholars in meeting the founders' goal of helping young people to help themselves. To be considered for the Terry Foundation Scholarship, applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Financial need
- A record of leadership in school and community
- Strong academic abilities, as evidenced by grades and SAT scores
- Graduation from a Texas high school or homeschool
- Admission for fall 2013 to the University of Houston as a full-time entering freshman for 2013-2014.
The 2013-2014 application for the UH Terry Foundation Scholarship has now closed. Scholarship applications and supporting materials were due by February 1, 2013. Applications for the 2014-2015 school year will be posted in September 2013.
Beginning with the 2013-2014 academic year, the Terry Foundation will expand its program at the University of Houston to include Transfer/Non-Traditional students. In the past, Terry Scholarships have been awarded exclusively to graduating high school seniors who enter the University of Houston the fall following their graduation. The Terry Transfer Scholarship stipend is $12,000 per year and is renewable for up to three years of undergraduate study, subject to satisfactory compliance with the Foundation’s academic and other requirements. The selection criteria include academic achievement, demonstrated leadership, and family income. To be considered for the Terry Foundation Transfer/Non-Traditional Scholarship, applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Completed college or university credits of at least 30 transferable hours with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Acceptance as a full-time non-freshman transfer student beginning in the fall semester at University of Houston
- Acceptance as a non-freshman transfer student to the Honors College
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident, as well as a Texas resident
- Graduate of a Texas high school, homeschool, or equivalent (e.g. GED)
- Must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and comply with verification requirements by March 15
Apply now for the 2013-2014 UH Terry Foundation Scholarship. Scholarship applications and supporting materials are due by April 1, 2013.
The Terry Scholars at the University of Houston
All students named as Terry Scholars for the University of Houston become automatic members of the Terry Scholars student organization (TSUH). Visit the TSUH website to see what it means to be a Terry Scholar at the University of Houston!