Skip to main content

Spring 2019 Commencement

Spring 2018 MPP Graduates

The Hobby School will be hosting our Spring 2019 Master of Public Policy commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 11 at 9:00 a.m. in the UH Hilton's Grand Ballroom. This ceremony will last for about an hour with a reception immediately following the event.

The following are some FAQs about commencement:

How do I apply to graduate?

Log into AccessUH, click on the “Advising” icon, and then “Apply to graduate.” Your application to graduate has nothing to do with walking in the commencement ceremony.

The deadline for the regular filing period to apply for Spring 2019 graduation is Friday, February 22. The graduation application fee is $25 and non-refundable. If you wait until after this date, the price increases to $50, and you also run the risk of not applying in time.

What is a commencement ceremony?

Commencement is the graduation ceremony for the Hobby School’s Master of Public Policy students, and designed to celebrate the achievements of our graduating students.

When is the commencement ceremony?

The commencement ceremony will be on Saturday, May 11 and begin at 9:00 a.m. Students will need to arrive at 8:00 a.m. to review the commencement procedures. The ceremony will last approximately 60 to 90 minutes.

Where is the commencement ceremony?

The commencement ceremony will take place on campus in the UH Hilton’s Grand Ballroom.

Where do commencement attendees park?

Commencement attendees are encouraged to park in the Welcome Center Parking Garage directly across from the UH Hilton. The physical address for this parking garage is 4400 University Drive.

For more information about parking, visit the Visitor Parking page.

Are students required to attend the commencement ceremony?

No. While students are highly encouraged to attend, they are not required. However, all students need to confirm with the Hobby School by Monday, April 15 if they are going to attend or not.

The Hobby School will send out an e-mail asking graduating students if you are planning to attend commencement and what information we need from you for your name card and other commencement-related items, such as number of expected guests.

Will there be a professional photographer at commencement?

Family and friends should feel free to bring cameras and take as many pictures and videos as they desire. They may not stand in the aisles during the ceremony. We also suggest that family photographers take photos at home and at other locations on campus prior to or after the ceremony.

A professional photographer might be present at the ceremony, and students will be able to order pictures from the photorgrapher directly. When this is confirmed, there will be additional details released.

Will there be a commencement reception or other activities?

Yes. The reception will take place immediately following the commencement at the UH Hilton. Food and drinks will be provided. The reception is scheduled to end at 12:00 p.m.

In addition, there will also be a required commencement rehearsal, for which the date will be determined soon, sometime during the week prior to commencement.

How do I order commencement regalia and other essentials for graduation?

These items can be ordered online via the Herff Jones commencement vendor. The deadline is Monday, March 11.

When will I receive my diploma and what name will appear?

Diplomas take approximately 6 to 8 weeks from the close of the semester for colleges to review graduation applications and submit their decisions to the Office of the University Registrar for processing. Diplomas are ordered once a student has been approved and a degree officially conferred and posted.

Diplomas are mailed directly to students at the most current address provided via AccessUH. The diploma printing company also will send e-mail notifications to diploma recipients indicating when diplomas have been mailed.

University records of a name for diplomas are based upon applications for admission. Subsequent name changes, along with copies of documentation, should be promptly reported to the Office of the University Registrar.

For more information about diplomas, visit the Office of the University Registar page.