Advance your hospitality studies in the bustling capital of South Korea, where a modern metropolis melds with centuries of history, tradition and culture. Up to two students each spring and fall term will have an exciting opportunity to study at Sejong University in the center of Seoul.
Students accepted into the program will take courses from Sejong University’s College of Hospitality Tourism Management, home to one of the top hospitality programs in Southeast Asia. By teaching both theoretical and practical aspects of hospitality and tourism, the college educates leaders and professionals who are ready to make important marks in the industry.
Courses will be taught in Korean and English and will focus of the rapidly changing pace of the tourism industry, including these main components: accommodations, transportation, attractions. At the end of the program, students will build the knowledge and experience needed to succeed in this exciting and rapidly growing industry.
Sejong University offers 2+2 and dual degree programs with internationally renowned institutions, including Conrad N. Hilton College. The Hilton College has welcomed Sejong students to UH since 2007. We are excited to offer our HRM students the opportunity to study at Sejong beginning Fall 2017.
In 2016, Sejong University welcomed 1,411 international students and 375 exchange students from all over the world including France, Malaysia, Finland, and many other countries. It is directly across from Seoul Children’s Grand Park, and easily accessible by subway and bus.
- Must be a declared HRM major with at least sophomore status
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
- Must have a valid passport: 6 month validity rule meaning that your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter Korea. If you do not have a passport, apply immediately from the U.S. Department of State or inquire with the UH Learning Abroad Office
- Health insurance is required that covers basic medical illnesses. If you do not have health insurance, you will be required to purchase either with the UH Health Center or through a personal insurance provider. You can also purchase insurance through Sejong’s provider at http://www.vasco-apply.com/insurance
- Must provide official bank statements showing financial funds of either $13,000 USD for a year of study or $6,500 USD for six months study.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an HRM Study Abroad application. The application includes submitting a résumé, essay and naming a faculty reference.
- The HRM Study Abroad Selection Committee will review applications, and students will be informed of their status within two weeks of the application deadline.
- Assessment of application is based on academic qualifications of the applicant, integration of Sejong University’s curriculum with applicant's degree plan and strength of the essay.
- Selected applicants will meet with Jennifer Glickman regarding their application package to Sejong University. $50 USD application fee.
- Selected applicants will also meet with the UH Learning Abroad Office, www.uh.edu/learningabroad
- D-2 Student Visa fee is $45 USD
- Application fee is $50 USD
Selected Applicants Agree to:
- Sign a Student Responsibilities Contract.
- Apply for an International Educational Fee Scholarship (IEFS)—deadline October 1 for spring semester scholarships.
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines and procedures of UH Learning Abroad. Please note that Learning Abroad requires an additional application form and a number of documents for outgoing exchange students.
- Assist Hilton College with study-abroad exchange activities (i.e. promoting at All Students Organization Fair, giving short presentations to students about the experience, greeting/assisting incoming exchange students, assisting outgoing exchange students, etc.) during the semester after returning.