As a patient of the UH Health Center or any other healthcare facility, you have certain rights, including the right to privacy, respect, professionalism, and competent medical care. You also carry certain responsibilities to help optimize the care you receive.
The goal of the UH Health Center is to provide all patients with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individuals' needs and rights. We also recognize that in order to effectively accomplish this goal, the patient and the health care provider must work together to develop and maintain optimum health. As a result, the above patient rights and responsibilities were written.
- Patients have the right to be treated with respect, consideration, and dignity.
- Patients have the right to be provided with appropriate privacy.
- Patients have the right to the degree known, to have complete information concerning their diagnosis, evaluation, treatment, and prognosis.
- Patients have the right to participate in decisions involving their health care, except when such participation is contraindicated for medical reasons.
- Patients have the right to refuse to participate in experimental research.
- Patients have the right to change healthcare providers.
- Patients have the responsibility to provide accurate and complete information about current and past illnesses, medications, and other matters pertaining to their health.
- Patients have the responsibility to follow the treatment plan recommended by their healthcare provider or to express concerns regarding their ability to comply.
- Patients are responsible for their actions if they refuse treatment or do not follow the healthcare provider’s instructions.
- Patients have the responsibility to arrive as scheduled for appointments and to cancel in advance appointments they cannot keep.
- Patients have the responsibility to become informed of the scope of basic services offered, the costs, and the necessity for medical insurance, and to actively seek clarification of any aspect of participation in UH Health Center services and programs (including cost) that is not understood.
- Patients have the responsibility to accept financial responsibility for all services rendered at the UH Health Center.
- Patients have the right to make suggestions and express grievances; to receive a personal response to the same, if so requested; and to have continued access to care without intimidation, threat, discrimination, or other retaliatory action. No patient will be asked to waive his or her rights, including the right to file a complaint regarding privacy with the UH Health Center Director (713-743-5151), the Division of Student Affairs Office (713-743-5390) or the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, as a condition of treatment.
- Patients have the right under HIPAA Privacy Rules to the following: to respect limitations on their medical information, to confidential communications, to inspect and request a copy of their medical information, to request amendment for their medical information, to request accounting disclosures, and to a copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Patients have the right to information on the following: services available at the UH Health Center, provisions for after-hours and emergency care, fees for services, payment policies, provider credentialing, and accurate information regarding the competence and capabilities of the organization.