Minimum Requirements for Graduate Admission
The University of Houston requires the following minimal qualifications for admissions into the master's and doctoral programs. The specific colleges and departments may impose additional requirements for admissions. Prospective students should directly contact the individual departments regarding specific programs, as well as consult the appropriate college section in the graduate catalog for further information.
Admission into a graduate or professional degree seeking program at UH has the following general minimum requirements:
- Applicants must have earned a bachelor's degree from an institution accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations. The Ministry of Education or another appropriate agency of the country in which the institution is located must recognize foreign institutions not accredited by U.S. accrediting agencies.
- The University reserves the right to evaluate foreign credentials. In most cases, these evaluations will follow nationally accepted standard practices and will rely on standard references such as those from the World Education Series published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Offices
- Students transferring from another graduate school must have at least a 3.00 (A=4.00) grade point average on all attempted graduate
- All Applicants must have earned a master's degree or have completed 30 semester hours of graduate work
- Students must have maintained a minimum grade point average of 3.00(A=4.00).
- A prospective student should obtain specific requirements for admissions to doctoral programs by writing directly to the department they wish to apply. College web-page addresses.
English Proficiency Requirement
graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, must demonstrate
proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university. To fulfill
this requirement, applicants must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Baccalaureate degree earned from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or at an institution at which English in the medium of instruction in the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Bahamas, Belize, the British Isles, Fiji, Jamaica, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, Zimbabwe, and English-speaking Canadian Provinces
- Present a score of 550 or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Departments may require a higher minimum TOEFL or IELTS score where previous experience and demands of the discipline warrant it. Admission materials contain details on this requirement. Note: The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics requires the TOEFL or IELTS of all international students (with the exception of students who have completed their bachelor's degree in one of the above-mentioned exempt countries) even when a previous degree has been earned in the United States. For more information regarding IELTS visit the IELTS website.