Residency Requirements

Residency is an important topic for many students and their families because it determines whether you pay resident (in state) or non-resident tuition and fees.  In addition to the General Residency Guidelines, see the Residenfy FAQs (link) for more information.

General Residency Guidelines

Independent students who have resided and established domicile in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months may be eligible for Residency Reclassification. Dependent students may base residency on a parent or court-appointed legal guardian. The parent or court-appointed legal guardian, however, must have resided and established domicile in Texas for 12 consecutive months. Residency for tuition purposes may not be based on a spouse. Marriage in Texas, if maintained for 12 consecutive months, may be used as support when submitted with documentation to support that spouse is a domiciliary of Texas.

When applying for a Residency Reclassification, please submit a completed and signed Residency Questionnaire, and required supporting documents as listed on the questionnaire (Revised Chart IV). If you are basing residency on a parent or court-appointed legal guardian, please submit documents pertaining to the person that residency is based on. Failure to submit supporting documents will result in a delayed decision.

International Students

Generally, students holding F-1 visas are not eligible to be considered Texas residents for tuition purposes. Due to the nature of the F-1 visa, F-1 visa holders are not eligible to domicile (see list below) and do not qualify for a resident classification.  However, if a student with an F-1 visa ALSO has an application for permanent residence (1-485 application) pending with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) the student may be eligible to qualify for in state residency. The general requirements for establishing residency will apply. Please email if you feel you meet these qualifications and would like more information about receiving in state tuition.

Senate Bill 1528

Senate Bill 1528 grants residency for tuition purposes to noncitizens, nonpermanent residents, and visa holders. If a student attends a Texas high school for 36 months prior to graduation or resides in Texas for 36 months prior to the receipt of a GED, the student will qualify for resident tuition (see affidavit below for requirements).

If you believe you are eligible for Senate Bill 1528, you must submit a signed and notarized affidavit and an official high school transcript/GED certificate with date and scores.

Tuition Waivers

Nonresidents and Foreign Nationals on F-1 visas may be eligible for reduced tuition rates by qualifying for tuition waivers. Waiver examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • students awarded competitive scholarships in the amount of $1,000+ for one academic year
  • graduate/teaching/research assistants from state-supported institutions who are seeking employment waivers for themselves or their dependents
  • military waivers for personnel and their dependents whose state of home record is not Texas

Go to the Office of Student Financial Services (Bursar) in the Welcome Center (corner of Calhoun Road and University Drive), for tuition waiver information.


You are responsible for registering under the proper residency classification. If there is a question on classification, you are responsible for raising the issue with the appropriate administrative officials.

You may register for classes before a residency decision has been made. Once a residency decision has been determined, tuition bills are automatically recalculated and can be viewed through myUH.

New students who have questions about residency should contact the Office of Admissions in the Welcome Center or they may submit questions to
Former and current students who have completed their first semester should contact the Office of Registration and Academic Records (Registrar) in the Welcome Center or call (713) 743-1010, option 4.

Visas that are eligible to domicile
(Adobe Acrobat required)

Residency Questionnaire
(Adobe Acrobat required)

SB 1528 affidavit
(Adobe Acrobat required)

Rules and Regulations for establishing residency in Texas
(Adobe Acrobat required)