Here is a list of the major documents:
|Application Fee||Letters of Recommendation|
|Official Transcripts||Personal Statement|
|(optional) Unofficial Transcripts||Resume or Curriculum Vitae|
|Test Scores||Additional Materials|
|(optional) Unofficial Test Scores||International Applicant Documents|
Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Transcripts must reflect at least the last 60 semester credit hours of course work or the equivalent. Evidence of award of degree must be reflected as well. When possible, transcripts should be sent electronically from your previous institution to the University of Houston. Within the state of Texas, the fastest way to send your college transcript is electronically (Electronic or “Speede” Transcript). We strongly recommend that you inquire at your previous institution about this option. If your previous institution does not allow for electronically-formatted requests, one official transcript from each institution previously attended is required. Official Transcripts must be sent in a sealed, signed envelope directly to:
Regular Mail Address
Express Mail Address
|University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, Texas 77253-3947
|University of Houston
4800 Calhoun Road
102 E. Cullen Building
Houston, Texas 77204-2012
Unofficial transcript Copies are optional and can be uploaded as a PDF file. Applicants must scan all transcript copies as one PDF, and upload directly to the “Optional-Unofficial Transcript” to-do list item, using myuh . Please be advised, copies of transcripts are unofficial and official transcripts are required upon admission.
Test Scores. Required test scores for admission should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the University of Houston. Use code 6870 for reporting GRE scores. Contact your academic department to which you are applying for information related to reporting test scores.
Unofficial Test Scores are optional and can be uploaded as a PDF file. Applicants must scan all test score copies as one PDF, and upload directly to the “Optional-Unofficial Scores” to-do list item, using myuh. Please be advised, copies of test scores are unofficial.
Letters of Recommendation. Effective October 1 2013, letters of reference are gathered electronically by the university for applicants to the graduate program (with the exception as outlined above). To do so, you are to provide references on the ApplyTexas Application. References should be from individuals who can describe your aptitude and potential for graduate study based on their knowledge of your work.
Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), applicants have the right to access their letters of recommendation and statements submitted to the University of Houston for graduate admissions. On the Apply Texas Application, you will be required to elect whether to permanently waive or retain your right to view the content of the recommendation on the ApplyTexas application.
For any assistance with modification of references identified (or not reported) on the Apply Texas Application, please contact the academic department.
Personal Statement. Applicants are required to submit a personal statement. First, you must refer to the specific program’s website for more information and instructions for completion of the personal statement. Secondly, the personal statement should be uploaded as a PDF file directly to the "Personal Statement" to-do list item using myuh.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV). For more information and instructions for completion of resume or CV, please refer to the academic departments’ website and for due date for submission. Applicants are required to submit either a resume or curriculum vitae as a PDF file directly to the “Resume/CV” to-do list item using myuh.
Additional Materials. This may include writing sample, self-study, or form. Please refer with individual program if other documents are required for admission. Additional materials should be uploaded as a PDF file directly to the "Optional Misc-Items" to-do list item using myuh.
- Evidence of satisfactory English Proficiency on the TOEFL or IELTS standardized exams as required by your graduate program.
- Unofficial Test Scores are optional and can be uploaded as a PDF file. Applicants must scan all test score copies as one PDF, and upload directly to the “Optional-Unofficial Scores” to-do list item, using myuh. Please be advised, copies of test scores are unofficial.
- If admitted to the program, International Students on student visas will be required to present the following:
- International Address. Submit electronically by uploading as PDF file to the “International Address” to-do list item in myuh.
- Passport. Submit electronically by uploading as PDF file to the “Passport” to-do list item in myuh.
- Financial Support Form (formerly known as Letter of Financial Backing). First download from www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/admissions-forms/ . Then, submit electronically by uploading as PDF file to the “Financial Support Form” to-do list item in myuh.
- Other items may be required. Please refer specifically to your to-do list in myuh.