The University of Houston is an exciting place to get your graduate or professional degree! Besides having many top ranked programs, UH provides the convenience and leisure of being in one of the most dynamic cities in the world. The University of Houston is situated on a pedestrian friendly 667 acre campus only minutes from downtown Houston. Over 41,000 students, including 6300 graduate students, and approximately 1000 faculty members call UH home.
Houston was recently rated by Forbes Magazine as America's coolest city. That honor can be attested to by Houston's rich array of entertainment, world-class museums, and extensive dining options. It can also be linked to the fact that Houston is now the most ethically diverse city in the United States. UH is no different. In 2012, the U.S. News and World Report ranked UH the 3rd most ethnically diverse institution in the nation.
Students at UH also benefit from the variety of activities and events going on and around campus throughout the year. Students can find community and purpose in one of over 400 student run organizations on campus. They can also show their pride, as they join their cougar family to cheer on UH student athletics at any of the UH athletic games.
The high academic standards, distinguished programs along with the cultural diversity and its situation in one of America's coolest cities makes UH a great place to get your graduate degree!
Housing, Meals and Transportation
- Graduate and Professional Campus Housing is available for students at the Calhoun Lofts.
- Campus Eating Services help take the worry out of shopping and preparing food. There are a number of different meal plans available for graduate students.
- Car Sharing and Car Rental through the University's rental service with Hertz allows students the freedom to easily rent a car to run errands.
Research and Workshops and Events
- Events are happening throughout the week at the university.
- Library Resources and Workshops provide graduate students the opportunity to attend workshops and obtain resources that will be useful during your time as a student at the university.
Other link of interests to graduate students
- A.D. Bruce Religion Center is a place where people of all faiths can go and find a quiet place for meditation or worship. There are various organizations that meet on campus at the Religion Center making it likely that you can find something that interests you.
- Campus Recreation is available to all UH students and consists of a state of the art facility which includes basketball courts, an Olympic size swimming pool, a lesure pool, racquetball courts and more!
- International Office seeks to improve the transition of international students to the country. Advisors are available to assist students with immigration services, advocacy, and other matters.
- Intramural Sports consists of over 30 activities including basketball tournaments, flag football, tennis, racquetball and more!
- Fraternity and Sorority Life at the university include over 27 different national organizations. Students have the opportunity to reside in Fraternity and Sorority housing at Bayou Oaks Apartments.
- Student Organization Directory with over 400 student run organizations on campus, there are plenty of activities and organizations to fit anyone.
- UH Sports is home to 17 NCAA team titles and 55 NCAA individual championships. UH's rich athletic history also boasts more than 660 All-American award winners and 35 Olympic medal winners.
- UH Traditions from Frontier Fiesta to the annual Chili Cook-off, play an important part of being a University of Houston Cougar.