Graduate Degrees: Graduate College of Social Work
Dual M.S.W./Ph.D.(Dual Program)
The Dual Program is designed only for full-time students pursuing both the M.S.W. and the Ph.D. degrees. A limited number of applicants with extensive practice and/or research experience will be accepted into the Dual Program. This program is designed for applicants whose long-range career goals and past experience are consistent with the aims of both the M.S.W. and Ph.D. programs, and who wish to accelerate their education. The combined program offers a structured educational opportunity for students holding master's degrees in other fields, but who want to earn the M.S.W. while pursuing the Ph.D. The M.S.W. allows graduates to teach practice courses at accredited schools of social work after completing a minimum of 2 years post M.S.W. practice experience.
In the first year, dual students enroll only in required M.S.W. foundation courses. Students will not take any doctoral courses in their first year. Dual students should apply to the Ph.D. Program during their first year in the M.S.W. Program. Applicants for the Dual Program are required to submit applications to both the M.S.W. and the Ph.D. programs separately, and the required application fee for each program. I admitted, admission into the Doctoral Program is probationary and based on the successful completion of the required M.S.W. foundation courses.
The M.S.W. degree will be awarded prior to the completion of the Ph.D. degree. Students can drop out of the Doctoral Program if they decide to terminate their education with an M.S.W. degree.
Admissions Requirements for the Dual Degree
1.Completion of the on-line Apply Texas Application, the department's application and required documents, and the non-refundable application fee.
2. Admission to the M.S.W. Program.
3. Have achieved a grade point average of 3.5 or better (4.0 scale) in all previous undergraduate and graduate study. Applicants whose GPA is below 3.5, but who have demonstrated excellence in other areas of the application, may be considered. We will calculate your GPA based on your transcripts.
4. Evidence of a strong interest in advancing knowledge about social work and social service. This interest can be demonstrated through the application narrative and through paid and unpaid work experience.
5. Strong undergraduate research background.
6. In-person or telephone interview may be required.
Catalog Publish Date: January 14, 2013
This Page Last Updated: October 2, 2012