Graduate Catalog Online Admission to Graduate and Professional Studies and Eligibility for Competitive Fellowships

General Academic Regulations & Requirements
 Graduation and

Graduate Student Assistantships

Graduation and Graduation Application

The application for graduation should not be confused with the application for candidacy.

Degrees are not awarded automatically upon completion of all scholastic requirements. An official transcript showing that a prior bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, has been conferred must be on file prior to graduation from UH with a graduate degree. In addition, to be considered a candidate for a degree, the student must submit an application for graduation to the Office of Registration and Academic Records, 108 Ezekiel W Cullen Building. (Graduate students in the Cullen College of Engineering must initiate their application for graduation with their academic advisor.)

Applications should be filed either the semester prior to or in which the student plans to graduate. Applications are available in the Office of Registration and Academic Records, 108 Ezekiel W Cullen Building. Deadlines for filing the application for graduation are listed in the academic calendar. Candidates for graduation who have been previously disapproved must reapply for graduation at no additional charge.

Any student who expects to graduate in a given semester must be enrolled for that semester. This regulation applies to students who have not submitted a thesis or dissertation by the deadline of the previous semester. Certification for graduation is performed by the dean's office in the college of the student's major. Diplomas usually are mailed about one month after graduation. However, students may indicate on the graduation application form that they will pick up their diplomas in the Office of Registration and Academic Records.

Graduation Under a Particular Catalog