Types of Fulbright Awards

The Fulbright Program provides the following grant opportunities for upperclassmen and alumni in the following categories:

Research Study

Research/study grants are available in approximately 140 countries. Applicants for these grants design their own projects and will typically work with advisers at foreign universities or other institutes of higher education. Program requirements vary by country, so the applicant’s first step is to familiarize themselves with the program summary for the host country.

English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Awards

An English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) places a Fulbrighter in a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as a cultural ambassador for U.S. culture. The age and academic level of classroom students varies by country, ranging from kindergarten to university level. View country statistics to gauge your competitiveness in your country of interest.

Awards in the Creative and Performing Arts

Projects in the Creative and Performing Arts and Creative Writing are research/study grants where the primary purpose of the grant is to learn an art form and/or create artistic work. The Creative and Performing Arts application will require the submission of supplementary materials which are detailed in the Applicant section of the website.

Fulbright Public Policy Fellows

The Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship will allow fellows to serve in professional placements in foreign government ministries or institutions and gain hands-on public sector experience in participating foreign countries while simultaneously carrying out an academic research/study project. Learn more about the Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship.

Fulbright Killam Fellowships

The Killam Fellowships Program provides an opportunity for exceptional undergraduate students from universities in Canada and the United States to spend either one semester or a full academic year as an exchange student in the other country. Learn more about the Killam Fellowship.

(Information from this page was derived from the Fulbright US Student Programs National Website)