Students & Alumni: Language Training
Fulbright - Host Country Language
Applicants should consult the Country Summary for the Host Country Language proficiency recommendations. The following resources proivde both formal and informal language training.UH MODERN and CLASSICAL LANGUAGES
Enroll in courses at UH to learn: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Greek, Russian, Turkish, Vietnamese, etc.
HOUSTON AREA RESOURCES
- Houston Public Library – World Languages - Resources are available for learning World Languages such as: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Farsi, French, German, Gujarati, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese, etc.
- Chinese Community Center – Chinese Language School - The Chinese Community Center (CCC) Chinese School offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced standard based Chinese Language and Culture learning programs to adult students.
- Portuguese Language – Brazilian Arts Foundation - The Brazilian Arts Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing cultural education and building community through the preservation and sharing of Brazilian culture.
- Vietnamese Language and Culture - Houston - The Hung Vuong Vietnamese Language and Culture School is a non-profit organization that offers Vietnamese classes at Houston Community College Central Campus. Classes are held Sunday mornings between 9 am and 12 pm during fall and spring semester.
- BBC Languages – free online language learning courses with information and links for more in-depth study.
- Duolingo - Learn languages 100% free while helping to translate the Web. Duolingo offers extensive language learning lessons and tools with a gamified skill tree which users can progress through, and a vocabulary section where learned words can be practiced.
- LiveMocha – self-study lessons, activities and one-on-one instruction from tutors and native speakers.
- Mango Languages - Learn Languages through Native Conversations. Mango is designed to equip you with conversational abilities from the very start. Whether you’re learning how to order a pizza or ask when the game starts, Mango immerses you in real, everyday conversations in 12 different language courses.
- NVTC Languages of the World – produced by the National Virtual Translation Center, this site provides information about the over 100 world languages, with guides to pronunciation, writing and links for learning.