Teaching Innovation Program
The Teaching Innovation Program (TIP) is an award opportunity for departments to develop and implement a plan for new and innovative approaches to teaching. The office of Academic Affairs and Provost is committed to providing resources and support to departments and faculty who can present a collaborative and innovative plan for accomplishing the TIP program objectives.
The following focus on proposal topics is encouraged:
- To increase student success in learning course material
- To increase student ability to use/apply course material
- To develop curriculum to help students become innovative and self-directed learners
Proposals will be reviewed for the following:
- Potential to enhance student performance
- Number of students to benefit from the project
- Sustainability and scalability (continuation and replication in future semesters) with a specific departmental plan for maintaining the innovation after the TIP support has expired
- Innovation of the project
- Realistic budget and timeline
- Assessment plan
Application and Selection Process
Each electronic application must be completed in its entirety before submission to the office of Faculty Design and Instructional Support.
Submissions for this grant are to be made as a Department, by the Department Chair. All Departments are encouraged to apply.
Participating faculty are only allowed to be a part of one proposal per year.
It will be up to the Department to determine how to select the proposal to be submitted from the Department.
Funding may include:
- Faculty stipends
- Funding for graduate assistants, support staff, teaching assistants, and instructional assistants hired for work on the award project
NOTE: Fringe Benefits will be taken from the stipend requested. It is appropriate to request a separate budget line for fringe.
- Hardware, software, and instructional equipment specifically related to the proposal
Funding may not include:
- Food or drink
- Anything not listed in the approved proposal budget without prior approval
TIP Application Sections
Section 1: Principal Investigator Information
Section 2: Project Goals and Rationale
- Need for the change in department/objectives/course material
- Focus of the project
- Anticipated outcomes
Section 3: Description of the Project
- Emphasis on what makes the project innovative
- Concise strategy for implementation
- Strategy for sustainability and scalability in the department(s) or across campus
- Timeline for the project
- Staff resources involved
- Detailed Budget
- Number of students benefited
- Assessment of success
- Department(s) Support
- How will the project be integrated into the departmental teaching post-TIP award
Administrative Oversight of the Project
After a proposal is awarded by the review committee, the office of Faculty Design and Instructional Support (FDIS) will be available to work with the associated department to develop a Project Management plan to help guide the use of appropriate technology and timeline support.
Faculty will be provided opportunities to share their experiences by attending quarterly Community of Practice meetings. TIP awardees will be responsible for presenting their work about innovation at events sponsored by the campus Faculty Engagement and Development (FED) office.
Department Business Administrators will be provided an approved budget, proposal, and project plan at the beginning of the award. Spending outside of the approved budget will require pre-approval from FDIS (Faculty Design and Instructional Support). At the end of the award period, the DBA will be required to close out spending in the cost center. Any funds remaining in the cost center will be returned to the office of Academic Affairs. Any extensions for the project must be made in writing (email). No extensions can be made without approval.
Submit a Proposal
When the proposal has been prepared and the required documents are ready for upload, the Department Chair should proceed to the Teaching Innovation Program Proposal Submission Form. Please contact Tammy Hoskings, Director, FDIS with any questions.