**Winner of the White House-HHS “Apps Against Abuse Technology Challenge” **
** Winner of the Institute of Medicine / Avon Foundation for Women “End Violence @Home” Challenge **
What is Circle of 6?
At the University of Houston System, we are all about looking out for one another. One easy way to look out for each other is through the Circle of 6 U app. Originally designed for college students to prevent sexual violence, Circle of 6 U for iPhone and Android makes it quick and easy to reach the 6 people you choose and prevent violence before it happens.
With Circle of 6, you have a new way to connect with up to 6 of your trusted friends to add to your circle by staying close, staying safe and preventing violence before it happens!
If you get into an uncomfortable or risky situation, use the Circle of 6 app to automatically send your circle a pre-programmed SMS alert message, with your exact location. It’s quick. It’s discreet. Two taps on your -phone is all it takes.
It’s the mobile way to look out for your friends whether you’re on or off campus.
Circle of 6 lets you add six trusted friends to your circle.
How you get it:
- Once you do, open the app and an option will appear for you to add one number that is not already in your contacts. Most people add a 24 hour emergency hotline number just in case they need it.
Consider these numbers:
- Houston 24-Hour Crisis Hotline-Houston 713.228.1505 English 713.526.8088 Spanish
- Houston Domestic Violence Hotline 713.528.2121 TDD 713.528.3625 Toll Free 800.256.0551
- Houston Sexual Assault Hotline 713.528.RAPE (7273) TDD 713.528.3691 Toll Free 800.256.0661
- Add the university you attend within the University of Houston System.. (By choosing your university you will have specific resources such as your campus Title IX Coordinator’s information automatically programmed in the app.)
- Then press “+” to add up to 6 people from your contacts to join your circle. Choose good friends or any trusted adult.
How it works:
- You’re out late and you lose track of your friends. Use Circle of 6 to send your circle a “come and get me” message – with a map using GPS to show your precise location.
- You’re on a date that starts to get uncomfortable. You need a polite way to excuse yourself. Use Circle of 6 to alert your circle to call you and interrupt the situation.
- You’re seeing someone new, but you have some doubts about how things are going. Use Circle of 6 to access a wealth of online information about healthy relationships.
- In critical situations, use Circle of 6 to call two pre-programmed national hotlines or a local emergency number of your choice.